Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new radiator for my '67.
The little original 289 radiator isn't cutting it anymore. My new Cleveland(desktop dyno says 380 HP) will be done soon and I was wondering what you guys think is the best radiator for my application.

Should I buy a new aluminum radiator? If so what make and size?

Or could I go the cheap way and just get a really big radiator from the junkyard(good shape of course)?

Thanks

:newburn: <- this is how my car feels while sitting in traffic

·
Registered
429 Posts
There are tons of options with regard to upgrading your radiator thanks to our overpriced brother the mustang. Right now I'm in the planning stages of a single turbo 302 or a stroked 351. Either way, I was going to need a new radiator. Well, I don't think I'm going to need a aluminum radiator plus $500 is alot of money. The next step down is a three or four row big block radiator (24" wide). To do the spap you have to have the big block radiator mounting brakets. Thats $250 for the radiator and another $100 for the top and bottom brakets to hold that thing. Again $350 is alot of money to me. So I went w/ a high effiecency SB three row radiator (20" wide). It really did the trick and only cost $190. Of course right now it is only cooling a 175 Hp 1984 302 but it does run alot cooler now. The other thing to remimber is that there are two different styles of radiators. One has the intake and outlet on the same side and the other has them on different sides. Make sure you get the right one. Same thing when ordering a water pump. Get the one to match your radiator.

Keep it cool, :D

Austin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts