Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up a 550 hp 408w kieth kraft engine and was wondering how big of a radiator to use with an engine at that range of horsepower

·
Registered
628 Posts
I recently bought a new 3 row aluminum radiator from champion radiators on ebay for $245. That included two 12in electric cooling fans. I had a 4 row in my car and wanted to go with the dual cooling fans. Because I previously had a 4 row in my car I wanted to naturally get another 4 row but Brent said that the 3 row would be enough and that it could cool upwards up to 650 hp. The difference in price was about $50 bucks, which wasn't an issue so I got the 3 row based on his knowledge and him being the expert, plus it had free shipping. When it arrived I could tell right away that I had made the right decision, the tig welds looked good and it fit just like it was OEM. I couldn't be happier, you can check ebay or call Brent at 714 599-3336, you won't be dissappointed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you go to Griffin radiators website and put in year,make,model,engine, and Hp but for a mustang they tell you what size radiator of theirs will work. Not the cheapest price.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i was not impressed with the griffin rad for our 67 big block---the car was converted to 68 style lower mounts so we ordered one for a 68----rad looks great with the formed style top tank---kinda like orig----the lower hose outlet is too short to accept the hose with the stock type fan shroud---had to trim the shroud---the position of the drain cock is wrong---with the rad installed , you can only turn the cock 1/4 turn before the cock hits the frame support---i ended up mooving the core 5/8 " to the pass side to center the core by fabbing an alum plate that goes between the core support and radiator hold down
the rad cooled ok---i now know it probably was a fan problem---i put a copper /dimple tube tech radiator from beko in concord ca---along with the spall dual 11" fan setup , controlled by their pwm computer---after a week long battle with the tech guys , we finally have it working flawlessly---if you have a/c you need to install another idler below the a/c pump to get the fans/belt clearence you need---the battery and box need to come out to install---the pwm controller got mounted on top of the sanden compressor---just no room left in the early big block car----would i do it again---you bet
doctordesoto

·
Registered
9 Posts
With the griffin radiator you will have to trim a little bit of the fan shroud if you are using a stock shroud with a mechanical fan to clear the lower radiator hose or you can go with an electric fan. I didn't have an issue with the draincock not clearing as mentioned above. On griffins website they also explain why a 4 row radiator is not always better and electric fan vs. Mechanical fan. I haven't got my car running yet so I can't tell you how well it cools with my set up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts