Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning guys,

I have learned a lot since november when I first picked up my very used (read: cheap) 68 DGS. It runs and runs well due to the 84 302 under the hood, but looks like hell. Well, I found out that it likes to over heat on the highway so I ordered a 3 core for it from sacramento mustang. While I was waiting on that I thought I would go ahead and change the coolant to see what change I would get from that. Well, I found two things; one it was almost all anti-freeze, very little water. Two, the thermostat was in backwards and was a 195 degree stat. I swaped it for a 180. Those two changes got me from running at 215 to running at 195. Not too bad. Well then my radiator comes in. I go to swap it in and its the wrong kind. I needed the one w/ the inlet and out let on different sides. So I sent it back and told them to send me the one I needed. It shows up and I go to put it in. The only thing the privous owner did to try and stop the over heating was to put a nice new seven blade fan on there w/ a big honkin spacer. The new radiator barely fit. We are talking 1/4" of space. At least I don't need a shroud. ;) The new radiator is working great! :D The temps on the highway stay right at 180. Then I get a charge on my discover card for $80 from sac mustang. I call um up to see whats going on. Turns out that the only radiator they have for me that has the inlet and outlet on different sides is a 4 core and that is what they sent me and that is why they charged me. I'VE GOT A 4 CORE ON A 170 HP 302. YEAH BABY!

all jokes and jabs are welcome

Keepin it cool,
Austin

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
YEP! YEP! FOMOCO RADIATORS

SINCE I HAD MY FIRST COUGAR BACK IN 1977, I HAVE HAD COOLING PROBLEMS. TRIED ALL KINDA OF FIXES OVER THE YEARS. DON'T REALLY LIKE THE ORIGINAL FOMOCO'S AS THEY ARE HEAVY AND DO NOT COOL WELL. GOTTA HAVE THEM FOR ORIGINALITY AND SUCH AT SHOWS. I HAVE THE CORRECT RADIATOR AND FAN SHROUD IN MY 69 CONVERTIBLE AND ON A HOT DAY AT A STOP LIGHT IT HITS THE 3/4 + MARK ON THE TEMP. GAUGE. IN MY DRIVER AND RACER , THAT DO NOT REQUIRE ORIGINAL ITEMS, I RUN A GRIFFIN ALUMINUM RADIATOR AND THEY WORK GREAT. LIGHTER WEIGHT AND THEY KEEP THINGS RUNNING COOL. PRICEY BUT YOU'RE BEST BET FOR REGULAR DRIVERS.
COOL CATATONIC:D

·
Registered
300 Posts
My 67 was sitting in the desert in a guys yard for a year before I got to it, with water in the block & radiator. I've backflushed the radiator about 12 times (built a cool little tool to do it in the driveway) and the block a few times too. still, there was too much junk coming out of the block. I've run flush and anti rust through it for a while now (month?)... still I was getting chunks that would block off the top of the radiator...

So... I bought Gano Filter. This thing ROCKS! It's screened out all the crud from the block and I haven't had a problem with overheating since! You don't have to replace it either, just clean it out and put it back in.

MU has them for $39 but Larry's here in CA has them for $29. An AWESOME investment.

Robert

1 - 3 of 3 Posts