Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered an aluminum 3 row 24" radiator from a certain place recommended on the forum here. $190 bucks or so... but one problem. The bottom tank was offset from the top so it was.. crooked. I sent it back and got another replacement with the exact same problem. They ended up returning me my money. They said it was the outsourced fed ex'ers damaging the radiators. I am hesistant to try anoher aluminum. To be honest I don't like how the top bracket wasn't exactly a good fit either. Last i checked was Advance Auto and they wanted 250 or so for a OEM'ish (probably pastic) Wagoner replacement which I know will at least fit and be straight.

What should I get for a 250.00 budget. My 70 Cougar 2v (2.75) is as stock as it gets so originalish (steel?) would be fine by me. if aluminum is better than by all means let me know.

The original FOMOCO stamped 24" 3 row is at the radiator shop I brought it to. they cleaned it up and said it was not repairable and of course had their "aluminum' they wanted to sell me.

Should i scour the forums and ebay for an original?

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
There is no reason to go for an aluminum radiator. You should be able to get a correct replacement from a local store or go through one of the Cougar vendors for a reproduction. $250 to $400 would be the range you can expect to pay for a stock replacement.

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
I ordered my 24" four row from MU and had it in 2 days. It shipped UPS and was well packaged for shipping. Fit perfectly too.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I went with 4 core stock too and have no problems. However, I have often wondered about an aluminum jobbie. Was the place that you got it from the place the Cougar Bill recommended some time back?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Genesis auto. Yup. That place. Their customer service was good. They expedited the new part to me while the old was in transit back to them. It seemed well built except for the offset tanks.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it's going to be closer to $400 than $300 according to that MU link.

I appreciate the help. I feel better with the stock even if it's more expensive. I'll see what I can find cheaper. Are there certain brands of these original/stock ones to avoid?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I know what you mean about the top clamp on the aluminum radiators. I have an aluminum 24" in mine, everything lined up perfectly, except the top is squared off and the clamp is designed for the original more rounded top. It took a little work but the clamp can be persuaded to fit if you are determined enough. Stock is going to be the easiest to fit.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Bull crap on the non repairable. If the upper and lower tanks are in good condition, it can be re-cored. Seems that radiator shops ain't what they used to be.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Bull crap on the non repairable. If the upper and lower tanks are in good condition, it can be re-cored. Seems that radiator shops ain't what they used to be.
Agreed. I take my originals and have them recored all the time...as long as the tanks and straps are solid. It isn't cheap, tho, but worth it.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I always wondered about the construction of the aluminum radiators. Are they fully welded or are the top and bottom tanks brazed on?
If they are fully welded, how would you ever get one re-cored or rodded out in the future?

·
Registered
199 Posts
aluminun is all welded or crimped. can't braze aluminun. My opinion there over rated, yes I have one, look cool but transfer heat slower than copper cause their thicker. should 2 row alum. oppose to 3 copper to get air over tubes better. probably get a lot of commets on that one? Brass can be record but today cheaper to buy new but can be done in a GOOD radiator shop. just my .02

1 - 12 of 12 Posts