Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '67 with a 289/4bbl. I have recently discovered that my radiator has a crack in it and I'm not sure that it can be repaired. I have the opportunity to buy a radiator from a friend out of a 69 with a 351/4bbl. This radiator should just bolt up right? I'm pretty sure it does, I just wanted to ask before I pick it up. Thanks in advance.

James

·
Registered
794 Posts
the best thing to do is take it by a radiator repair shop to have a look. My wife's 4Runner had a hairline crack in the top so I took it in to be welded. They said they would weld it up for 40$, but the increased pressure would cause another crack to sprout up.

I ended up getting a new one anyway. My point is talk to someone who repairs them to get the real info.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The radiator for the 351 may not have the inlet and outlet at the same locations as on the 289 radiator?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem I have with the current radiator is that the base of the radiator was crushed.... I put it in a press and managed to straigten it out, (looks pretty good too), but I'm afraid that there has been too much stress to the metal and has caused it to become weak anyway. That is why I'm looking at buying the radiator out of ny friends Coug. I plan on eventually buying a new radiator, but for now I'd like to use the one outta the '69. My wife is pregnant woth our second child. My son is due on the 16th of this month so funds are pretty tight right now. This would be a temporary fix untill I have the money to buy a new radiator.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The 69 rad should have the same outlets, but may be the 24" wide radiator. Still might fit. mm

·
Premium Member
4,113 Posts
as long as both are the same width you should be fine. The 70 351 has the bottem bung on the oppisit sied and will not work. I tryed once in a round about way. I put a 67 289 in a 70 and had to find a 69 and earlyer redator to use it with out playing games with splicing 2 hoses together. Neal.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info guys! my buddy measured the radiator, said it was approx 20 inches in width which is right in line with mine.... mine being around 19 inches. I thought it should work, just wanted a second opinion before I did it! thanks again everyone!

James

1 - 7 of 7 Posts