Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay this is for a buddy who insists that he needs to add a phlenum to his griffen 4 row aluminum and electric fan set up because he feals it isnt cooling the outer edges. Personally i dont think it is a good idea since the electric fan is made to work up against the radiator but have no evidence or any hard proof. Is he right should i build the phlenum for him or not i think it is an awful idea but have no way to prove it as such. any thoughts on this would be most helpfull.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The inherent design of radiators give them a hot spot and cool spot (you can verify location with your hands after the car is warm). As long as the draw pattern of the fan includes the hot spot it is fine. BTW by plenum do you mean the same as a shroud? Any radiator benefits from a shroud regardless of type, because the draw pulls all it's air through the radiator instead of pulling some from around it.
Also, an aluminium radiator usually does not have 4 rows. They are usually two rows and the heating efficiency is increased with the size of the tubing.
If you are not talking about a shroud I guess you mean a sealed airway opening in front of the radiator that funnels all incoming air to the radiator, similar to the early Firebirds. This works really well but takes some fabbing. If your friends car is running at normal temps, that is the bottom line and he should not worry about it.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just going by what he is telling me that it is a 4 row rad couldnt say one way or the other. but he is wanting an inclosed all encompasing plenum in the shroud area. I am just not sure how well this will draw all the air if the fan will pull enough air through the area he wants. I mean i will make it for him if he wants it i just dont want it to make his car overheat more than it is already. And i relize that at speed the fan isnt working but still i am just not sure he wants to do this when a fan in front may help more.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Design of the shroud is super important

a friend of mine added a shroud around the electric fan on his blown Chevy T-bucket. Really improved cooling around the streets but the car started to overheat on the highway because the fan opening was too small to allow enough air through.

If you look as some performance Japanese cars they actually run dual fans in the shroud so that they have maximum surface area to allow enough airflow through the radiator when cruising. ie the two smaller fans have greater surface area than one large fan and therefore allow greater airflow from the shroud

In most street cars you can also improve the cooling by trans-am style ducting from behind the grille and into theradiator to ensure maximum airflow through the radiator.

In both cases you need to be careful that you don't funnel too much air into the radiator and increase drag or restrict the flow of air from the radiator through the shround and decrease the coooling effect

If you want an excellent lesson in airflow and cooling go to

www.bmw-motorsport.com

from the menus select Racing | Formula 1 | Formula1 Pavilion

from this screen select Team | FW24

when the F1 car loads select Chassis | Cooling system and read the description of the use of airflow and duct shapes to cool the F1 car

1 - 5 of 5 Posts