Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm trying to get the Cougar ready for the Fab Fords show at Knott's, and the biggest eyesore in my engine compartment is the overflow reservoir.

As you can see in the pic, mine looks pretty damned ugly. I remember seeing that there were some nice repro ones, I particularly remember a nice chrome one that mounts kind of oddly.

Anyone have a link or a pic of one of these installed?

Attachments

·
Registered
889 Posts
I got one for mine out of a 77 monte carlo $2.00 at the local bone yard.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not too concerned about a stock look. I actually remember seeing a chrome one that was pretty cool looking, too. I mean if you look at my engine, it doesn't look very stock anyways. :)

·
Contributing Member
320 Posts
Jason,

I have a question for you if you don't mind.
I like the way your engine looks. I'm looking for
a steel braided hose for the vacuum advance just
like the one you have. What brand and size is it?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jim!

Those are just cheapy hose covers over a normal rubber hose. Looks a lot nicer than the standard hose, thought. I grabbed the set at AutoZone for like $10 or $15

Looking in that Jegs link, I saw a link to hose from the company that comes with the covers already on it:
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=4680&prmenbr=361

I should finish putting my covers on before the show, I have the covers for the radiator hose and heater hoses too.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Run it in the wheelwell

Take the hose and mount the tank you have in the passenger's side wheel well. There may be holes already in the sheet metal that would be able to accomadate this.
My friend, Art, ran one this way on his XR7G you would never know.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you can't find a replacement tank in time for the show, you could try running it through the dishwasher a few times. My dad did this to the grungy tank on his fiat during the rebuild, and it looks brand new now.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
summit has them cheaper as i recal and it is the spun aluminum type. they also have plastic ones for 14.00 in diffrent colours that say summit on them.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
MunchE, I think the chrome radiator overflow tube you are asking about is like the one in the pic courtesy of 14k. (Thanks, hope you don't mind.) I'm running the same one, when the motor is actually in the car. I got it from Yearwood Speed Shop. The nice thing about these is that it also works as a recovery system unlike the cheap ones out there.

http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1529&password=&sort=1&thecat=500

I'll search for the link to Yearwood and post that ASAP.

http://yearwood.safeshopper.com/381/cat381.htm?326

P.S. I bought the smallest one they had. 13"

Mark

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Local Hero, that's exactly what I was looking for.

How do I know which size I want? Is it based off of the size of my radiator? I'm not sure how big my radiator is.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Any container will work as a recovery system if it's set up right. You need a container large enough to hold all the fluid that your system spews out, plus a little more.
The idea is that the cooling system builds pressure when hot and spews fluid. The recovery can catchs that fluid and allows the radiator to draw it back when the system creates suction through cooling off.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Rktmn, you are correct, but the key is the right set-up. I researched this when I bought mine. Many of the pretty, cheap, aftermarket containers only spew into the top. The "input" hose does not connect all the way to the bottom of the container to suck the fluid back into the radiator. Those types will usually have a valve or a plug to empty the contents out of the bottom. The cylinder type I linked to allows the fluid to surge into the bottom without an air gap and then it slowly sucks it back to the radiator as it cools.

MunchE, my system really only puked out just a tiny bit of fluid when I shut it off... and this was after filling it up all the way. I based the size of the tube on only needing to recover the tiny bit it would normally lose. That, and the size constraints of where I needed to mount it. Bear in mind, those tubes were originally designed for street rods with stock radiators. Those radiators are really tall, so the longer tube would fit no problem. We need to make sure that it will not hang below the subframe rails yet allowing the hood to close. The picture of my engine in the gallery was taken before I installed the unit in mine. But I put it exactly where 14k put his. Although I'll be moving it again soon due to needing room for the new A/C hoses to get to the condensor.

Mark

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What I mean for size is, it has those two mounting brackets on the side, and it appears to mount to the radiator.

Does it need to be a particular size, or am I going to be fabbing a place for it to mount anyways?

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Jason,

There isn't one available that fits perfectly. I went with the 13" stainless unit. It will stay nicer longer for the same money as the aluminum one. Weight savings is a non-issue. I used one of the existing polished stainless angle brackets for the top mount since it's pretty and you see it. I made my own bottom mount which was slotted and adjustable and that made the installation easier while everything was in the car. It's not as pretty but you don't see it either. I also sandwiched the brackets between the radiator and shroud.

As with anything customized, you have to make it fit. I only spent a couple of hours one evening doing it. But it was no big deal.

If you decide to go this route, Good Luck! It looks high tech and I got quite a few compliments on it. As you might have guessed, I'm not into originality.

Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts