Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a '68 Cougar late last year. Due to it needing new head gasket, it tends to get pretty warm after a short drive. It has an overflow tube that is pinched off, by a previous owner, at the bottom for some reason. My question is, was there ever an overflow tank on these cars, or another container of some sort? I don't see any place where there was one originally hanging on this car.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Nope, no catch tank on the 68´s, just the tube routed down to dump the overflow to the ground

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
It's a good idea to put one on just to give you something to keep tabs on how well it's doing though....plus it's enviro-friendly and required by most racing events should you ever decide to do that.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Been meaning to add one to my 67 as well. Anyone have a recommendation as to size/type/brand/location for a 67 390 w A/C?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Been meaning to add one to my 67 as well. Anyone have a recommendation as to size/type/brand/location for a 67 390 w A/C?
On my 70, I put a dishsoap container between the battery and the radiator support.
"Just a temporary fix to keep drops off garage floor" Its been temporary for 3 yrs now.

Size- 10 or 12 oz.
Type- Dawn
Brand- grease cutting
Location- see above

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've seen all kinds of types in different cars at the tracks. Seems the easiest,cheapest, most effective is the guys bought the little black "sausage" type from summit,or jegs & installed in the wheel well.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Mustangs plus or unlimited sells a chrome tube about 18" long it can attach to the radiator support usuing the 2 radiator bolts on the right side, (Driver side) It has 2 brackets that attach to the radiator bolts as well. I have this set up with my aluminum radiator , It looks nice and serves it's purpose. I think it was $50.00.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Mustangs plus or unlimited sells a chrome tube about 18" long it can attach to the radiator support usuing the 2 radiator bolts on the right side, (Driver side) It has 2 brackets that attach to the radiator bolts as well. I have this set up with my aluminum radiator , It looks nice and serves it's purpose. I think it was $50.00.
Sounds like mine:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i used a tubular one from speedway and mounted it on the pass side in front of the core support between the a/c condensor andpass side h/l sheetmetal frame---almost holds itself there---390 with a/c
doctordesoto

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Not the greatest picture. But mine is right next to the upper radiator hose. AC hoses were in the way on the other side.

Attachments

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thanks guys, heres another project I can do for the cat.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 74 doesn't have an overflow tank. Looking at part stores no one sells 'em. Did mine come with one? Using an old coolant jug at the moment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts