Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well after replacing the Rad cap on my cat and effectivly fixing my cooling issue:) i got bored and decided it would be fun to install my aluminum VC's and Air Cleaner.
Well after 5 hrs of fun and scraping 29 year old Gaskets from the heads all was said and done and the VC's and Air Cleaner were on:)
Lisa did help and you can check out the pic of her and of the semi completed motor at our site, just click the OUR CAT link at the bottom, first page last 2 pics:)

Any who took her out to test for oil leaks and found none, she was running great, but on the way home i opened her up and BAM throttle stuck WO i freaked and had to throw her in neutral and turn her off just as i did she popped back and all was good...lol what a scare any who let me know what you all think:)
Thanks

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
can we all say new DUAL throttle return springs??? he he he. cheap insurence. only thing i dont like about dual springs is that they make teh gas harder to press. not bad once you are used to it though. that and lube the lever a bit.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Personally, I like a stronger throttle spring... I don't want my V8 to have the pedal feel of a hyundai... :) I think it just feels right with the more power... rrR RRRR RRRRR

Robert

·
Registered
160 Posts
Looks good now for that WOT thing ensure your cable is lubricated and maybe a slightly stronger return spring.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Make sure it is not binding up on the bottom of the air cleaner.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i completely forgot about binding on the air cleaner. my car had issues with that so i run a 1 inch spacer between the carb and air cleaner. it hit the lever and the fuel inlet hose so it needed to come up a bit. i think this is a pic of it...

Attachments

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Stuck WOT

Repeat after me... :1poke:

Shut ignition off first, then put car in Neutral...

The absolute last thing you want to do is take the load off the engine and let it free rev with a stuck WOT! That's a good way to make a lot of expen$ive noise! Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh-BOOM rattle, clank,.... Then you look back and see chunks of cast iron, bits of aluminum and lots of oil and antifreeze on the ground. I guarantee that's not a good sign! :cry:

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
i fixed mine with a body hammer, but it was a steel one, i wouldnt pound on it if the base is aluminium.
I really freaked out when it happend to me. that first beer came early that day.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok i will never again put in neutral first!!!

Second what you guys think of the semi finished motor?

LOL

plmk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts