Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a photo of my open wheel modified that I campaign on dirt tracks in midwest. Not a good shot but it's the only one I have on disc at the moment. For next year I am changing number to XR7 instead of just 7. Since our cars are legal just about anywhere UMP mods are legal, lots of times more than one car shows up with same number and they make you put an X after your number if you are second one with that number signing in, so using XR7 should be unique and I'll probably end up with some cool looking decals when they are done. I'm going to have my decal people use an actual 68 XR7 emblem to go by.......

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Damn that's nice. Looks like some bodies going to be having lots of fun.. - Chad

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Keith, I know what them are. You running Ford Power? What chassis do you run? My son helps a friend of mine on his Pierce chassised UMP modified.
Here is the last one I had, a 94 Ellis 3 link, 2020lbs ready to go, 406 Alky burner. I was a 1992 IMCA track champion. At least I see you live near one of the best carb shops around, C/S in St Charles MO. mm

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mark,
Yes, C&S carbs are here in town and we use them. Presently I am not running a ford engine, but am considering switching if my engine builder has any deals available. The engine in the car pictured is a 368 chevy that dynos at 752 horsepower. I traveled to a track in eastern Illinois this past season that was home to alot of Pierce cars....my first lap around the joint was my qualifying lap and I set fast time. I won my heat convincingly and then got my butt kicked in the feature by one Pierce car in particular.
My rookie season in modifieds was in 1994 where I finished 3rd in points in state of Missouri and nationally 22nd out of 1,348 drivers. I run all over midwest, little tracks up to the miles at DuQuoin and Springfield. My regular saturday night track is I-55 Raceways in Pevely,MO.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Keith, I ran the Springfield IL IMCA show in 93. I crashed out passing for the lead in my heat race. O well, checkers or wreckers right? I ran the mile at the fairgrounds at Indy in 92 also. You can vouch for me that these drag race people dont know what a rush is untill you have to throw one of these cars with 8" tires into a left turn on a one mile dirt horse track at 140 mph. I ran Ford motors from 1977-1991 but went to the bowties only for economics in the modifieds. With the Ford parts that are availible now I would run them again. The late models just about broke me thats why I went to the modifieds and the chevy motors. Thats also why I retired from racing in 94 when most of the tracks went from IMCA sanctions to UMP. The money for motors and tires are way out of hand in UMP and no one uses the claim rules like it takes to make them work. At least UMP went to a wieght rule now. You have a great hobby if you can afford the time and money it takes to do it. It sounds like you do. If you havent seen it yet look up in the pictures forum for the pic of one of my old Cougar stockers. mm

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mark.......you're right on money....

Yes, it's alot of money and if I didn't have sponsors helping out I wouldn't continue doing it. I fully intend to pursue it to much higher levels in the sport,though. It's all I've ever worked towards......I worked for Penske for five years with lots of teams and drivers.......mostly Rusty Wallace. Here's a picture of my car on the track from one of my photocards that one of my sponsors......namely McLeodUSA....had made up......

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
So how does one get started in this field? How did you guys get started in doing all this? - Chad

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Chad the way I started was simple, I was going to the track each week and I just decided I wanted to do it. So I went down to the pit office, got a rule book and looked it over.
The same week I got a junk 70 Mustang to work over and got with it. Belive me at 18 years old and no race experiance at all everything I learned was the hard way. I was lucky that my dad had helped on a stock car in the late 50's and he was interested in helping me out on the car. Although he helped work on it the money aspect was mine alone although he did supply the garage and a truck to use.
This was back in 77 before there were store bought chassis and most race parts were converted junk yard pieces.( the good ole days!!!)
Today I would suggest the best way to get started would be to go to the track to watch and learn from the pits, not the grandstands.
Talk to the people and dont be afraid to ask questions, as most will be glad to answer them. Just take all answers with a grain of salt and pay attention to how the car they are running is doing. In other words the guy who is always in last place may try to tell you he knows all the answers, but if he is so smart why is he always last?
If you decide it is something you just have to do, then by all means do it. But just remember its not a one man game, you will need help, pit crews etc. Also starting at one of the entry leval classes would be a good idea till you get some experiance. I would suggest not building your own first car, wait till seasons end when all the top dogs are building new cars for next year and you will be able to buy one of the front running cars for way less than it is worth and along with that it will be a car with most of the bugs worked out of it.
Also the previous owner will more than likely be a source of advice and information. (untill you start beating him and his new car!!) Its a great sport if you have the time and money it takes and I was lucky my family all got involved with it and it helps keep everyone close. mm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts