Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the R-code XR7-G for sale in New Jersey. Anybody here know the story on it? The seller says it is 1 of 11.

·
11,000 Posts
Is there an ad online? The seller's name is Ray. The car is rough but restorable. I would like to see someone bring it back to life.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I'm not sure if on-line, but I know there is a short add in this months Hemmings Motor News.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I have pics of the car. Needs a rebody. Wellington Blue over dark blue leather. I tried to buy it but could not get Ray to set a price. All I got was make me an offer,make me an offer,make me an offer. Tom at KTL had the car at his shop the last I knew and told me there was quite a bit of storage due unless he was hired to restore it. This was better than two years ago. Tom at KTL is really a nice guy and told me alot about the cars condition and what it would cost for him to do the body and paint. Ray on the other hand is not alot of fun to deal with so use caution. I finally gave up trying to buy it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the text from the Hemmings ad:
COUGAR: 1968 XR7-G, 428 CJ, 1 of 11 made, 32K, also Hertz 390 GT Rent-a-racer, $14,000; excellent 7G 302, $9,000; sunroof; all need resto.

Sounds like he finally decided on a price.

I too would love to see some pictures of the car. I'm not looking for another project, but it sounds like it could be a stunning car if restored.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
This is the car that the ECI should do next. The math is simple, $32K plus restoration. With the ECI doing the restoration it would be relatively cheap in dollars and precious in time. Done, I would expect the car to be $100k.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
It is the only 428 XR7G in Wellington Blue with Dark Blue Leather if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
How complete is the car for $32k? Engine, trans, rear, interior, original? etc....

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
What wasn't on the car Ray said he had 2+ years ago when I talked to him. Car is rough. Needs a total restoration. Major Rust Issues.

·
11,000 Posts
Engine appears to be the original one but I have not seen casting numbers or date codes for the heads. Possibly the original rear.

I think an ECI could pull it off without a rebody but it would be a heck of a lot of work. In this case, probably worth the effort because the car is so rare and desirable.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Part of a email discusing the engine: Tom said he found the number 9D18 on the block.Do I read it right as Sept.18th 1969? the rear end is H 3.50------DOS 41------- 8F93R570976---- car has Tilt blue in side

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Part of a email discusing the engine: Tom said he found the number 9D18 on the block.Do I read it right as Sept.18th 1970?the rear end is H 3.50------DOS 41------- 8F93R570976---- car has Tilt blue in side
Don, the date code 9D18 would be April 18th 1969. Also, on the last 6 numbers of the VIN, the car was either built in 5/68 or 6/68. John

·
Registered
384 Posts
I talked to Ray yesterday about the three Gs. He seemed to be very helpful. He did not say the 428 was in storage. Here is what I got on the conditions:

428 needs torque boxes and some floor work plus the frame rails are cracked from rust in the trunk. Rear quarters behind the wheels need replacing. The engine and trans have been rebuilt and run well. This car does NOT have a sunroof, but he has a sunroof assembly that could be put in.

390 Hertz has a well running engine and trans and the body is in primer. Vinyl top needs to be removed and the roof leaded to fill rust holes. Possible floor work needed. He did not say what is under the primer.

J code needs passenger torque box and floor replaced due to leaky heater core. I got the least info on this one. Ray said he needs to reduce his collection.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Don, the date code 9D18 would be April 18th 1969. Also, on the last 6 numbers of the VIN, the car was either built in 5/68 or 6/68. John
John, that sounds about right to me. My car's serial number is about 7,500 higher than this one, mine was built June 12, 1968 per Marti. The block's date code should be 8D_ or 8E_ depending on if it was produced May or June of '68 if you go by the 4-6 week rule everyone talks about...

I called Tom yesterday to ask about what he remembered about the car. He told me the car in general needs a lot of sheetmetal work, cowl, maybe firewall and front radiator support in addition to what was mentioned earlier in this thread. Sounds like it would be a great car finished, especially if the drivetrain proves to be original to the car.

·
11,000 Posts
Jim,

All the Hertz XR7-G's have identical options except interior and exterior color. All have sunroof, 390-4V, automatic trans, AC, PS, Tilt - away, AM radio.

I was under the impression that all Hertz Gs had sunroofs --- Royce ?

·
11,000 Posts
If the block casting is 9D18 then it is a replacement. It was previously reported as 8D18. Tom rarely makes a mistake so I would tend to believe him over the previous report.

Part of a email discusing the engine: Tom said he found the number 9D18 on the block.Do I read it right as Sept.18th 1969? the rear end is H 3.50------DOS 41------- 8F93R570976---- car has Tilt blue in side

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Tom here ill see if can find the picture i have of the car and I would love to the car but not for (Ray) I did take picture of Block # First one was dard to make out but did remove pan on motor looked like 428 I think crank was 1ub / trans cast tail & R / 31 spline axles tom www.KTLRestorations.com

1 - 20 of 23 Posts