Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got Magnum 500's with 225/60/15's and I mounted one on the front for testing. It seems that the damm thing just rubs in a couple of spots when jacked up. When off the jack, I can fit a thin piece of cardboard between the tire and the chassis when turned in either direction, there is even more room when the tires are straight., The question is, should I chance it or get 215/60/15's for the front????? and can I put just one washer between the hub and rim to bring it out?????Thanks

Steve:cry:

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
just a personal opinion, but I think I'd go with the smaller tires...but then I'm a chicken when it comes to racing down the freeway with tires that are only a paper-thin distance away from my chassis while they are in the process of heating up and expanding...but that's just me ;)

Another option might be to take a cutting torch and just ever-so-slightly notch the frame/chassis to make more room. NO!!!!!! JUST KIDDIN'!!!!!

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good one LOL! I've already called the tire guy and he's ordering the smaller ones. If they don't fit, then the TORCH. Only kidding. Thanks, I'm kinda chicken too.

Later

Steve:1poke:

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Good idea ... If you never hit a pothole or bump or railraod track you would be fine however......

Don

·
Registered
588 Posts
If they are that close, consider adding a spacer also. (a real one, not washers). Tires deflect when turning, which mean the inner tire will bend inwards in a curve. What was close then becomes a rub. With the new tires, check the inside about once a week. If a wear ring starts appearing around the inside if the tire, add a spacer.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I agree with my namesake, use a spacer. Washers will crack the rim or worse....Safety first....

Bruce

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can I use a spacer with drum brakes?

:confused:

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I don't see why not. Unless a particular spacer says not too...
BTW, how long till your driving it ???

Bruce

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bruce ...I should have her fired up next weekend (I know I said that before) LOL, but everything's hood up minus the front grill and muffler. I intend to get a muffler system on her this week (Local Shop) and all I really need is to do the interior. The hard part, heater box and blower fan are already installed. My goal is to get her up to snuff by Father's day and show her at the annual Portmouth Abbey show. Will be in touch.

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts