Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove Lucille onto campus today to meet with the Motorsports guys (and show her off) and when I parked found coolant dumping out the a/c drainage tube onto my header collector.

I assume this means I need a new heater box, but the urgent question is how do I patch this temporarily so that I can drive home and not empty the system of coolant?

There are two hoses running to the firewall, one off the pump and one from the manifold; can I just disconnect those, cut one of them short to make a "jumper" straight across from the manifold to the water pump?

I need an answer a.s.a.p., thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I've had a couple heater cores go bad. I disconnected the hoses at the firewall and spliced them together.
Pretty much the same thing you want to do.
So yes your idea will work.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! Will get out the razor blade...

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Ditto - bypass it for now. I do have the unfortunate experience of having a new heater core leak, so for your own piece of mind be sure to pressure test any new core you purchase prior to installing it. They can leak brand new. Doing this new core install twice in one day may cause one to slit their wrists...

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
First heat core.. I pulled the hoses and replaced the hose connectors with plugs.
Second one I spliced them as described above.

I just got done replacing my second one, what a pain in the a$$. The leak was at the solder joint where the box connects to the hose piece. Must have broken loose from vibration. I think the gasket cover was pressed against it and eventually the solder joint gave. This time I made sure nothing was touching the hose connection.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I got home ok.
Right after I cut and looped the hose back on itself, I ran an errand for the team (Harbor Freight trip, woot!). She ran great all the way there and most of the way back, but then a block away from the garage she suddenly refused to idle as I came up to the spot light (wanted to die, smoke). I limped her in, pulled the air cleaner, and saw gas literally POURING out the secondary boosters! I pulled the 2ndary bowl sight plug and gas GUSHED out. Limped her home but ran out of light last night.

I'm going to pull the bowl now and hopefully just find a stuck float needle. Is there anything else it could be? Is there anything to do besides clean the needle-and-seat, and make sure the float isn't full of gas (I think I have a phenolic float so that shouldn't be the problem).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts