Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...

Is there a "donut" between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe? Tiffany has a real bad leak somewhere.. It's enough to make your eyes water when the windows are rolled up.:( I've felt around for air with the motor running but can't really feel anything....

Don

·
Registered
160 Posts
exhaust

The answer is yes there should be a donut type of seal between the stock exhaust manifold and the pipe it connects to. Some times these go bad and some times the bolts just work them selfs loose , so try tightening it up first if no good suggest removing the donut and going to a autoparts store.

·
Registered
151 Posts
May also want to check around/in between your head and exhaust manifold. I replaced a donut on mine, thought it was still leaking. After 2 hours, I found a spot where the gasket between the two had burnt/rotted away. I threw some hi-temp Permatex on as a temporary fix until winter comes and I can tear it all apart and fix it right.

·
Registered
123 Posts
xr7ron- I swear by Earl's exhaust manifold gaskets. They are made out of treated aluminium and have inserts. When it is time to change you just put new inserts in them. You can get the inserts pre-cut or blank if you have done any port work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts