Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brake switch located on the front of the brake pedal has two connectors.... what are the colors of the wires that should connect to it?? and where do these wires come from?? My interior vanity/map lights don't work and the toggle switches on the dash. I believe i have tracked the problem to the original fuse block.... The lowest fuse (horizontal) in the fuse block... is mysteriously missing!! Also what rate fuses should there be in the fuse block?? Especifically that one?? :D Oh and it's a 68 XR7!! :p:

Thanks

Stu

p.s Maybe it's not such a quick question.... sorry!! All your help is extremely appreciated!!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any advice...

will be really appreciated!! How hard is it to gat a good angle to look at that fue box!!! I find it best to go at it through the passenger side, it must be very amusing when the neighbours watch me... for them anyway!! HA HA my feet all up in the air and me making grunting noises and a little cursing!!! ;) i've got stuck quite a few times!! :D

Stu

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Sorry Stu, I have a 70 and the harness is thrashed and out. Hopefully someone comes thru for you :)

Rick

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Stu, I have a 67 owners manual and it says that bottom fuse a 14 amp and its for the lighter.

Bruce

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Oh, I ment to ad 68 might be different.Also it may feed more than just the lighter.

Bruce

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys thanks for the help!!

Unfortunately the 1968 must be wired differently due to the fact that my lighter does work!! The door lights don't, the courtesy lights any of them don't including glovebox, transmission selector, all the lights on the roof... seat belts, door, map lights, rear courtesy. The dash works but that is about it!! Can anyone else help?? I mean even if it just the correct ampage for that one fuse??? Driving at night is a pain, getting in the car i can't see a damn thing!! :p:

Once again thanks for the help!!

Stu :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'd have to look at my 68, but I think I remember the brake switch wires being one black and one orange. I also don't think it matters which side of the switch they hook to.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
You're right, Doc - the switch is just a basic open/close mechanical switch so polarity doesn't matter.
I don't know what the color codes for the 67 wires are, but I know that my 69 XR7 and my father's 66 Mustang both have the wires in a L shaped connector, not individually.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks guys!!

The PO had a bad time with wiring so i will have to find these black and orange wires. Do you know where they come from?? What's on the other end??? i don't recall seeing a orange wire under there but i will have to check!! :D

Thanks for all the help

Stu - Cougar Maniac!!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Stu, you say the PO got to the wiring. Then you should check all the plugs. For the roof console there are plugs bihind the console, at the pass side piller behind or above the kick paneland behind the switch panel itself. Make sure they are fully connected and clean. I know this is long but if someone has been at it your going to have to check everything.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Bruce

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Hey Stu, I forgot the brake light question. The two wires you need should come from the main bundle a couple of inches from the switch.

Bruce

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks!!

Guys all of your help is really appreciated!! I am at work right now but will check tommorow morning!! Hopefully i will get all of this stuff working and looking neat and tidy!!

Thanks

Stu - :D

p.s Any word on what amp fuse i should use?? 14/12???

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's funny...

I was just about to ask where is the best place to get a wiring manual from!! :D Oh well you answered before i even asked!! Thanks!!!

Stu - :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts