Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys once again I am here to ask more questions, thanks to all those who have helped me so far...I really appreciate it!!!

I am in the middle of placing a 89GT EFI motor and T5 in my 67 cat and want to know what the best aftermarket wiring harness is out there? I have found a few different companies that offer them and they all say theirs is the best. I have read many different forums and cant seem to find what I need to know.

I have the original harness out of the mustang, I have heard its a true nightmare trying to cut the wires out that aren't needed so I would rather it be more simple and probably alot cleaner by getting a universal or painless type harness.

Same thing with the the fuel lines, I just purchaced a T-REX 50/70 inline fuel pump and need some suggestions on the best route to install the fuel lines. I think that 5/16 lines will be suffecient, I need to know where to purchace push-locks and lines from... I hear that it is best to run hard lines. Does it really matter if the lines are nylon or steel?

Any suggetions will be very much appreciated!!!

Thanks everyone.
<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
790 Posts
Try Boomslang, they make aftermarket harnesses for various applications, custom built.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
What's in the 89 harness that you don't think you need?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys , thanks for the response.

Mainly all I need in the harness is the fuel injecton, maf, O2 sensors, possibly the altenator wiring and the of course the big fuse block(I think) and ecu. Not sure what else I will be needing, this is the first time I have ever worked with fuel injection and wiring for that matter(other than replacing wires for lights and battery cables that is).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked up Boomslang and it seems they handle mainly Honda's and imports... Not exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Go here http://fordfuelinjection.com/ and read everything carefully.

The factory EFI engine harness is a stand-alone piece. It does not include wiring for lights (if you mean headlights etc), just the engine sensors and injectors. IIRC the harness for gauges is separate from the main harness.

When I did an EFI conversion in a 79 Mustang several years ago there were several magazine articles written about the conversion. I also used the wiring diagrams and shop manuals for the 79 Mustang as well as the 92 donor car. There are a few good books on Ford fuel injection that are good references and also a big help for troubleshooting after installation.

Mustangs Plus has a pretty good tech article on the conversion as well: http://www.mustangsplus.com/tech/efi/index.html

·
Registered
790 Posts
I looked up Boomslang and it seems they handle mainly Honda's and imports... Not exactly what I was looking for.
My bad, I've talked to them several times about 4banger motor swaps/turbos that I've put in and figured since they offer such a wide range of ECM conversion harnesses they might have something you're looking for.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

If you need books, to tear apart the Mustang harness, I think I can supply them and the diagnostic manual to boot!

It's like Yelo said, it's a standalone harness! You connect +12V, ground, and "start" from your ignition switch, and the rest is all interconnected.

Ford "used to" offer an adapter harness for sale, no longer.

This is why the Mustang harness/computer is such a demand item! If you know what you are doing, you could put the system on a 426 Hemi and have it purr like a kitten!!!

About all an aftermarket harness would do, is leave out all the stuff that you can run without, ie egr valve, BUT, without the proper wiring mods, you would have a constant "Check Engine" light on...... I'd rather make the proper jumpers, or mods to the original harness, and be sneaky that way!

Lemmeno if I can help with some paper info!!!

fm

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heya Fastmerc, I may have to take you up in that offer for some paper info.

I am also trying to figure out what rear end I should put in my ole car, really would like a posi rear end just so she will pull alittle better, maybe some 350 or 373 gears...not sure yet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts