Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gather these are rare, right? Apparently only fitted to boss 302 cars?

I never expected to be the proud owner of one anyway. Just received all the dash parts for my cougar from Don Rush at West Coast Classic Cougar (top man by the way). The gauge cluster is from a 69 XR7 and has one of these tachos. How rare are they? and also is there anything special about hooking it up or does it plug straight in to the XR7 loom? I am assuming for now that it will be directly compatible with an XR7 loom.

Were there ever any repros made, perhaps I have one of them? Maybe one of you Cougaholics out there can provide me with some more info.

One things for sure.........I won't be revving my 351w to 8000. I like my valves/pistons the way they are!

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
naah, there not that good, so I'll trade you my 6 grand tach so you wont have to worry about it ;)j/k sorry, not sure of your question

Rick

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
The 8K tachs were in Boss Eliminators. I have reason to beleve they also were in 428 Super Cobra Jet Eliminators and XR7s but no proof yet. I have one in my 70 XR7 with a 351W. It just plugs in like the 6K unit. You got a good score on that. I sold one last year for like $185.00. they bring in 2 to 3 times as much as a 6K on Ebay. I'm sure some others here have some good info on were this tach was used from also. I'm interested to see what gets said here.

·
Registered
488 Posts
read this thread on eliminators and 8K tachs.

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=4298&highlight=tach*

i will bet money that the tach you have has a part number ending in a -B not a -B2 right? they are incremented differently and i believe they were used in cars other than the boss 302 that got the -B2 unit. i keep meaning to look this up in an older mercury parts book but my august 68 copy is not complete (i am missing most of the electrical because the glue in the binding failed. but hey i got it for a buck at carlisle i'm not *****ing!). does somebody have a late 68 copy of the parts book that was printed before december? there are two versions that i know of and one is dated august 68. if the august copy shows an 8000 rpm tach then that is proof that they came in cars other than eliminators since eliminators and boss 302's were mid year introductions (my august parts book does not show the eliminator trim and shows the 428 hood scoop with a grille!). hawkrod

1 - 4 of 4 Posts