Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trunk lock cover is broken, and I have one off of a junker to replace it. Some questions:

- How to I access the left nut / spacer without removing the latch? I can't figure out how to remove the latch with the lock extension still in it, and I can't get to the release pin on the lock with everything still in place.

- I got the right nut off, no problem, but how to I remove (and later, replace) the spacer?

- It looks like I have a little rust build up around the spacers on the inside of the trunk. It's not particularly simple to access that area since it's inside the support. Suggestions?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I got really p!$$ed off trying to put my new trunk latch on. I ended up taking the entire trunk lid off the hinges and laying it down on a blanket so that I could get to everything. Worked for 1.5 hours with the lid on and 15 minutes with it off.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
The only way is with a universal joint, a socket and a 6 inch extension.
This is a real bear because they have sleeves and nuts so if you aren't careful the sleeve and nut are easily lost in the trunk structure.
They are easier to take off than put on. The right one has a direct line thru the hole in the framing, the same tools mentioned above, although now it's impossible to start the nut on the threads of the left one because your finger won't fit. The way I did it was by taking masking tape and taping the nut in the socket and once it bit i pullet the socket out with the tape still attached to the socket.
I am 6'2" and over 250 lbs so it is a tight fit for me and there is no comfortable spot in or out of the trunk.
It can be done.
Next time I am going to take a hole saw and create a second access hole. Maybe that's where you should start.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
xr7gt said:
The only way is with a universal joint, a socket and a 6 inch extension.
This is a real bear because they have sleeves and nuts so if you aren't careful the sleeve and nut are easily lost in the trunk structure.
I don't understand how you'd get off the spacers. The nuts, OK, but the spacers? Did yours just come off when you removed the nuts?

They are easier to take off than put on. The right one has a direct line thru the hole in the framing, the same tools mentioned above, although now it's impossible to start the nut on the threads of the left one because your finger won't fit. The way I did it was by taking masking tape and taping the nut in the socket and once it bit i pullet the socket out with the tape still attached to the socket.
I would think it EASIER to put on than take off, since the latch would be off and you'd have direct line to both nuts. Install lock cover / sleeves / nuts, install latch, install lock.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I have absolutely nothing to add, but, of course, I'll jabber some anyway...;)

I replaced mine (and will have to again, once I locate one that isn't pitted!) and don't remember it being an issue at all...Hmmmm...NOW I'm scared for when I have to do it again!!! Perhaps my memory has blocked out the experience because it WAS so horrible??? I probably did it with the trunk off though - at the same time I put the trunk weatherstripping on after it came home from Miracle (*hanging head* - yeah, but I learned my lesson).

·
Registered
269 Posts
66_Pony said:
I would think it EASIER to put on than take off, since the latch would be off and you'd have direct line to both nuts. Install lock cover / sleeves / nuts, install latch, install lock.
Once the latch is off it is a whole lot easier. The reference XR7 made to losing sleeves and nuts in the trunk was exactly the reason I ended up taking the lid off the hinges. It was almost impossible to keep the sleeves and nuts and everything in one place while you are standing in the trunk upside down working with a lid that is moving up and down.

·
Registered
834 Posts
The cheap solution.

Hey folks! I found this thread while searching for the solution to the same thing. I actually found a better way I think, while leaving the trunk on (and avoiding all those petty alignment problems).

About two years ago, my sister in law, knowing I was a car guy and loved tools, bought me this cheap arse rachet "ball" on the end of a flexible 8" shaft, with a number of sockets. Well, I have never used the thing, UNTIL TODAY! ;) After reading this thread, I wound up getting out "That thing" and my handy telescopic magnet, and had absolutely no problems removing the nut and saving the sleeve retainer from slipping down into the nether regions of the trunk lid structure. If anyone is interested and can't figure out what I'm talking about from the description, let me know and I'll send or post a pic of the thing.

Thanks!
Rick

·
Registered
834 Posts
67/68

They are on every (well as far I know every) 67 and 68 Cougar. I'm not sure about other years, but 67/68 for sure.

Rick

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Canuk69Cougar said:
These latch covers are they only on the XR7's? I don't have one on my standard 69.
The latch covers are only for 67-8 cars. From 69 on up, it is just a lock cylinder.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Little trivia here, the truck lids are physically the same from 1967-1970. Except for the latch/lock. :realshk:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts