·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Plug it and see

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did and it didn't help but also noticed that there is only one inlet/outlet tube on the intake manifold and not two like the illustration seems to show.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I would have to think no, and that it is a timing issue. Are you working on the Cougar again here?

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got her back on the road and registered when it started backfiring through the carb. I'm sure it's a stuck intake valve but saw the illustration on Don's site and had a ray of hope that it was a simple fix that wasn't going to cost me money. Still, with no place to hook the line up to do I just plug it off?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Do you know what cylinder? Couldn't you just whack the stuck valve spring, and try to loosen it that way, if that is the problem? How do you know it's stuck, and what do you think is causing it?

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know which one but it sounds like it's on the drivers side bank because that is the side I hear the popping through the carb.
I guess the only thing holding me back is set of gaskets, huh?

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
UPDATE: I took the valve covers off and checked each valve. I started with the drivers side and they would wiggle a bit. I'm not an expert so I don't know how much is too much. Drivers side was pretty consistent across the entire cylinder head. I re-installed the valve cover and took off the passenger side. This time I noticed a very loose valve on the #3 cylinder. It's the third one from the back. I take it that is the intake valve? I could push the cylinder rod in and out and there was some push back. I don't know if I would be so lucky as it being nothing more then needing to tighten down the rocker? Thoughts?

PS: If this is the case what is the proper procedure?

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bueller? Bueller? Frye? Frye?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I would check for "normal" lift at that rocker; does it move up and down as much as the other rockers? Chances are that what you have is a wiped out cam lobe. What happens when you have one is that the lifter pumps all the way up to try and take up the clearance and the worn lobe has much longer duration than an unworn lobe, so much so that the valve is open when it is supposed to be closed (like at TDC of compression stroke) and thus a backfire through the carb when the spark occurs.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feel I got a good price on reworking the heads at $180 for the pair (including hardened seals). I think I should do them anyway even if it is the cam. I'll know more when I take the heads off. Anyone know of a good price for cam/lifters/rods? Probably go just slightly better then stock so it works with the original intake.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Help me out heya?

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So nobody has done a top end rebuild on a 68 302? I'm feelin' the love...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts