Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '67 DGS cougar and would like to put an aftermarket set of rims on it. I want to go bigger....like 16", but I know nothing as far as backspacing and offset and all that crazy stuff :)
Anyway, since I can't find Torq-Thrust D's in 16" I'm considering going with a set of Chrome Torq-Thrust II's. Where/How do i find out this information that I need? (Correct backspacing and offset)Also, since the stock rims are 14", I believe.......I would like to put a lower profile tire on these bigger rims. How do i calculate a correct size?
Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you want some torq thrust D style in a 16" X 8" try California Mustang.
cal-mustang.com
Click on the classic mustang online catalog, the go to wheels. They are under the Vintage racing wheels link.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I did a lot of research on wheels before deciding on 15x8's for my 68 and here's what i suggest if your doing a 16" (I choose the 15's so I could get RWL tires)

For the backs you should be able to run a 16x8 with a 4.5" back space.
Up front you should be able to run a 16x8 with a 4" backspace. A 16x7 up front might be more sano but I'm not sure of the back space needed for those.

Tires? Somewhere in the range of a 235x40 back and a 225x50 front, maybe?
Check out the Firestone Firehawk SS20, they have a wide range of sizes and I highly recommend them. Also the Dunlop SP8000 is a good choice for 16" sizes.

http://www.tirerack.com They have ratings and reviews of these tires.

Check out this Tire size calculator too.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Very handy! :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would like all the tires to be the of the same size. Wouldn't that be possible? I haven't decided if I'm gonna go 16x7 or 16x8 yet, but I DO want all 4 rims to be the same size and i'd also like all 4 tires to be the same size. are you telling me that this isn't possible? I'm a dummy when it comes to this sort of thing:rolleyes:

·
Registered
519 Posts
It's entirely possible to have the same size on all four corners. I have 235x60x15's on all four corners but I have a little rubby rubby on the front due to the wong back space. Just make sure your fronts are tucked in a little more than the backs.

4" BS on front.
4.5" BS on back.

You'll have no trouble finding a good low profile tire :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, i have to buy rims w/different backspacing? Smaller backfacing in the front then on the rear. Got it. (Even though i don't know exactly what the "backspacing" is :))This thread is really helping me out! thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey 67, if you look at the diagram I posted, the backspacing is the same as "rear spacing"...it affects how much your wheel goes in or out of the fender. An easy way to get all same size tires and wheels would be to find the maximum wheel size that you could fit on the front and put them on the back as well.
Like evilmess, I too have 235/60-15s on all four corners of my 67...too much rubbing in the front for my liking...so instead of getting two new Keystone Klassics with the correct backspacing, I'll probably just get a somewhat smaller tire for the front...something like a 205/65-15. That should give me a bit more room and hopefully discontinue to wear out those expensive chrome wheel well mouldings!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So is it gonna be possible for me to put 16" rims on my cougar without the rubbing effect? Cuz I certainly don't want any rubbing!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
My research is limited to 15" rims but if you look at the width of the wheel and tire and try to come close to the originnal tire size...that would have been the F70-14 as the largest option tire for that year...it's something like 26" diameter and about 8" wide. Not sure if you could get 16" tires that are that size though!! I'm sure that your local tire shop would be able to fit you up...and the estimate is free!!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
It looks like we can go with 225x60x15's Bruter

At least that's the info from the link provided by sixt9coug

That's fine with me, I'll have two spares for the rear ;)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey evilmess, yeah, I saw that too, but 225s are only 10 mm narrower. So that's 5mm on each side...don't think its enough to stop the tire rubbing. From the gouges on the tires it looks as if I need at least 3/4 inches per side to clear (so that's about 15 mm). So with the 205/65-15s, I'll have that width difference and the diameter difference is only about 5/8 inch shorter than the 235s. So it won't look too bad. Anyway that's the theory:rolleyes: Guaranteed the backspacing on my rims is all wrong for the front :( And yes it will creat a spare set for the rear:D

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
well i dont know if its just the design of the car or what, but i have some 215/70 BFGs on my car on the stock 14 inch wheels, and at full lock they make contact with the upper contol arm. i find it strange as the car came with F70 14s stock, and werent those a little wider actually??

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey Steve, I think that F70-14 translates to 205/75-14 from what I've read?? So that makes your tires about 1/4 inch shorter and about 1/2 inch wider. Doesn't sound like that should cause any interference?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey Scott, I got the front tires changed today. I found a pair of good used tires from a local tire shop, 205/65-15s. Reason for used is that they were cheap just in case the theory doesn't work in reality. If this setup works with these wheels then I'll be looking for a new set. The new front size seems to blend well with the 235/60 rears. Anyway, as soon as I try them out I'll report back. :D

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
:D :D :D :D Took my 67 out at lunch... that front tire size did the trick!! I don't have any more scraping...but then again I haven't hit a large pothole yet. When I get the time to wash it, :rolleyes: I'll post a pick...the tires look right now :lolani: :lolani: :lolani:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts