Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The original upper control arms had plugs front and back at the top where it connects to the inner fender. I ordered new upper control arms. They came with one plug and one zert? I am guessing the original were not greaseable. Should I put in the zert in the new ones or two plugs? If I install the zert would it go in the front or rear? It doesn't look like the control arms are threaded for the plug or zert. Do I just start them and they will thread themselves? Thanks Harv

They are from WCCC, Scott Drake brand?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Install 2) 90 degree zerks,..1 for each bushing. Position the zerks so that once they are installed, they can be easily accessed with a grease gun. The zerks will fit tight against the inside of the tower,....so thread them in as much as possible without breaking them off. Position the zerk on the rearward bushing at a 45 degree angle down.....otherwise you will be fighting the steel brake line when it's time to lube!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hey Harvey....this is the kit I purchased so you can get the 90 degree bends on the fitting so a grease gun can get up there and grease the fittings. I've got the same Scott Drake upper control arm

Also good call on having the fitting installed so it can point downwards to avoid getting in the way on the brake line....lucky for me this was mock up and the front suspension is all off the car again...will twist them downwards when final assembly gets underway...also notice how there are holes in the shock tower from someone way back in the day who torched holes so they could get to fitting and grease the upper control arm

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I gotta get one of those kits before I forget about it. The old way was to cut a hole in the tower to get at them! this is one of those things you skip and wish you wouldn't have - only becuase you didn't have the parts handy when you were right in the middle of doing it! Don't skimp on this one or it will bite you sooner than later...<sigh>

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The kit does look great. However I am concerned this will take me off the concourse course. I am thinking I will install a zert while on the bench. Make sure all is well greased and then remove the zert and re-install just the plug. How often do these need to be greased? I don't figure I will ever put maybe 15000 miles on this car and that may be stretching it.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The kit does look great. However I am concerned this will take me off the concourse course. I am thinking I will install a zert while on the bench. Make sure all is well greased and then remove the zert and re-install just the plug. How often do these need to be greased? I don't figure I will ever put maybe 15000 miles on this car and that may be stretching it.
Exactly what I was going to say Harv, putting zerks in means points off for concours. As for how often they need grease, when they squeak pretty much! I have ~3500 on Isabel now and no noises so far (but I have the right angle fittings for if/when).

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Bob, Thanks for the support, Don't know why they didn't have zerts from the factory but They didn't. When I started on this car I had no idea what concours really meant! If I did I don't think I would have went the same direction. Since I am not in any kind of hurry though it really doesn't matter. I know when I am done what will be in the car and the quality.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
IF you were to say tap/prep them for putting the zerks in (When you do want to grease them) I don't think any judge would ever see it? Then when you do want to throw in some grease - you could screw them in and remove them.....just a thought. I know my car squeaked/squeeled like a banshee when I first got it and drove me nuts....we put straight zerks in it and added some cushioning to the spring seats, it sure helped, but now getting at that zerk is pretty much a lost cause....the 90 degree set up is the answer for sure.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The plugs that go in there are the same threads as the zerts. Not sure if there will be room to pull them once installed or not. If so I could pull them and then insert the first part of the 90 degree then screw the second part on grease and remove. Sounds like a plan!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts