Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to clean up and strip my axle, splash guards, drums and stuff to get ready to paint. I don't have access to a sand blaster so was wondering what tools would be best. The guy at my auto parts store showed me a couple. One was a wheel looking thing kinda like scotchbright pad but black and much stronger (this goes on a drill). The other was a bunch of twisted metal strands on a drill arbor. Is either one better or do I want both or neither?

·
Registered
992 Posts
For the axle I used my 4 inch electric grinder with flap disk (?) Attachments which were stout enough to buzz through that heavy rust. Where ever I couldn't get to (inside leaf spring brackets for.example) I sprayed rust encapsulated paint. I did a thread with pics on this called rear housing restoring or something like that, take a look
Kevin

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will do Kevin thanks,

·
Registered
200 Posts
If they're not that expensive, try buying one of a couple types and see which one works out for the best for you. That's how I've always approached something like this. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
If you have a 4 1/2" angle grinder, the blue version of the black disc you were talking about works great. I got mine from home depot in the tool section, 9.97. I looks the same as the black one you are talking about, but blue, and goes on your angle grinder.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I've tried a bunch of different discs and such, and the absolute fastest, cheapest, and maybe the most fun is and angle grinder with the twisted cable. I've stripped almost the entire suspension, the frame, and some of the body on my Chevy truck with one wheel. Absolutely amazing. It strips off old paint, bondo, grease, rubberized undercoating, rust, and whatever else might be on your parts, AND it won't grind away and dig divots into your metal like the grinding discs, or won't lose its grit and effectiveness like the flap discs.
The only downside is that once in a while you'll get a wire slung at you and maybe through your shirt. It's adds to the "brute force" manly fun of it!

It costs maybe $45 for both:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't even think to look at home depot. Just got my check so maybe I can go shopping! Trying to not get carried away but am getting bored and restless while the car is being media blasted and epoxy sealed. Got to do something or I will go crazy.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Believe it or not, aside from all the usual abrasives out there, as a preliminary cleaning step, I found a great way to get a lot of the greasy sludge off is with oven cleaner. Then hose off with water. Then any remaining rust or heavy leftovers can be removed with whatever you want to use, grinder, wire wheel, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts