Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered new however They are not identical to the original, (I believe mine are) ones. I have decided to re-use the original as they are very clean and work just fine. Might coat the threads with bee's wax for lubrication. My question is after cleaning mine up the color is silver as new metal. The new ones were like a brass colored. What type of finish would the original ones have been? Does anyone have a set of NOS that they could check and tell me? Thanks

·
Registered
913 Posts
Clean the ones you have with a little carb. cleaner, do not use anything on the threads as this will attract brake dust which will hinder operation.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've gottem all cleaned up. Actually just soaked them in some AfterBlast from Eastwood. I thought that might loosen up an crud that might be on them, old brake dust, brake fluid and what have you. I left them in there overnight and when I looked at them they are clean metal! I am not sure what that AfterBlast stuff is but it sure did a good job. Now I am wondering if the Adjusters should be the brass color of the new ones or a silver color like they currently are?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Silver is probably correct for the original and the new ones are Zinc Dichromate which is a yellow finish. I think you do not risk being marked off using either one since they are hidden. I do not know of any judge that would be removing the rubber adjustment plugs and peering in there with a light or borescope! Still, right is right and that is a laudible endeavor.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I realize no one will ever judge the car to the extent I am trying to build. Never had any intention when I was looking for a car that I would go to this extent either? Not sure why I am now cept it is interesting and gives me something to do. I will be trying to photograph everything as I go for something to refer to and show off later. I do appreciate all the knowledge that is on this forum and the help that freely comes. Harv

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Frankly I enjoy all your enthusiasm Harvey. I hope I can have the attention to detail that you're giving your car when I finally get to start working on mine.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Here's one some dude did for a 70

Attachments

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the picture it helps. I had painted the stud on the top that holds the shoes black as I did the brake backing plate. Will have to correct that!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Here's one some dude did for a 70
Wow, just.... wow. :eek2:

I can most assuredly say that I've never seen a drum brake assembly that clean. The colors on the springs are BRIGHT! Usually, I'd have to use a wire brush and a whole spray can of brake cleaner -and maybe even part of another can out of my blackpowder cleaning kit- just to get a faint clue of what color spring goes where!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I ordered new however They are not identical to the original, (I believe mine are) ones. I have decided to re-use the original as they are very clean and work just fine. Might coat the threads with bee's wax for lubrication. My question is after cleaning mine up the color is silver as new metal. The new ones were like a brass colored. What type of finish would the original ones have been? Does anyone have a set of NOS that they could check and tell me? Thanks
I bought some NORS for a 67 Shelby I had years ago. They were black phosphate.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The ones I took off were not black for sure. I bought a bottle of After Blast from Eastwood. Not sure what is in it but it sure cleans bolts and stuff. Just drop the stuff in and paint, grease and grime come right off. The stuff is meant for removing or cleaning after using plastic media but I am going to order more just to use to clean stuff up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts