Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My painter did a test spray today of FAWN, on the Ditzler chart it is code 6 (same as on the door) and numbers 2249. Where ever my painter gets his paint from said there was no 2249 but a 22249. The test spray looks pretty close as I have nothing to compare it with but it looks like it might be somewhat darker? I have nothing left with paint on it. Do paint shops use computers to mix the colors right?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Harvey, I don't know if it makes much difference, but looking in my '68 shop manual the paint code number for paint code 6 (Light Beige) is #1631-A. Just my my .02 that you might tell your painter. John

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That doesn't make me feel very comfortable. I was going of off the Ditzler PPG paint chart. Code 6 is FAWN number 2249 (22249 is what they came up with today) This chart is index number 12 and says it is for Mercury, Montclair, Monterey, Parklane, Comet and Cougar.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
68 Puma, I googled 1968 Mercury Paint Codes, I found a cross reference chart on one sight. Seems every supplier uses a different number for the same thing? There was like six paint suppliers on the sight. Ford was first then all the others. Ford number matched what you said and did cross reference to PPG 22249! That is a good thing. I also found that the color was named different on different models. Pebble Beige on mustangs and some fords, Desert Sand on Lincoln's, Fawn on Mercurys and there was one other I forget? Anyway I have my fingers crossed on this spray out. Kinda hard to tell on a 3 by eight piece of paper and the fact that I don't have anything left with paint on it. Lots of pictures but they all look lighter, most were taken with a flash. I have learned a lot of things I will or would do different the next time around. I thought I documented everything very well. I found so far that I only documented half of what I should have when I was taking the car down for paint.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Harvey, that's GREAT!!!! Didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable. John

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Not to worry at all, the code for that color is 6, and the 2249 is Ditzler´s own internal referance code for that color, the 22249 internal # might be an updated mixing formula for the paintsystems that are today, or a new internal code after Ditzler and PPG merged perhaps.

The 1631-A number is the internal code for a different paint manufacturer, just as RM, Glasurit, Sikkens etc has their own internal # on the same color code 6 in this matter

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah Not to Worry! When I look at the test spray I think that is perfect, no maybe a little dark, well it depends on the light your in, maybe it will look different on the car than on the paper? Dont' know. I think it is right on one minute and then later wonder some more. Who knows. I should have kept the rear valance back until now to compare it to. It is going to look sharp with a new black top and some fresh chrome. A very Classy color in my mind!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts