Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again. Looking for titles and locations to buy manuels for my 68 xr7. I want to have all the info I can as I want to go through the car as much as possible taking it back towards factory condition. What manuels do yall suggest? Wiring diagrams? ect. Anything that I might need as far as reference stuff I would like to start gathering now. Thanks for the help. Harv

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
The factory shop manual is the best place to start. It's available in print form or on CD from your favorite Cougar vendor. The 68 version is a single volume usually retailing for around $50. The later years went to a multiple volume system.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, will these tell me about body assembly and intirior as well? Is there a specific manuel for the 390 engine or will that be in the 68 manuel as well?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Thanks, will these tell me about body assembly and intirior as well? Is there a specific manuel for the 390 engine or will that be in the 68 manuel as well?
Besides the 2 assembly manuals that you listed. There is a Chassis and Electrical assembly manual also. There is a '67 Engine Assembly manual, but not a '68 other than the '68 shop manual. John

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I bought my X code from a Manuel. :buck:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've got the full set of assembly manuals, as well as the shop manual. For me the assembly manuals have been the most useful. They are the step by step instructions and diagrams that the plant used to build the cars originally. They tell you what parts go where, and with which fasteners. Since my car came mostly disassembled that's what I have needed.

The shop manual is more service procedures, without a lot of detail. It focuses more on repairing, and replacing parts. I don't think I've even opened mine up yet, but I am sure it will come in handy down the road.

I think both are good to have, depending on what state your car is in. My assembly manuals came with the car, and I think I got the shop manual from Johns Classic Cougars, on the west side of Michigan. Most all of the parts suppliers carry them.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an auto krafters catalog and a catalog from Johns Classic Cougars, I see all the manuals in the Auto Krafter Catalog. Was just wondering if these are all the same or are some better copies than others? I figure I will order the shop manual, and any other related ones that have to do with assembly. Are there any manuals that spell out all the little paint marks and lines on the car? such as the marks on the springs or the paint daub on the shocks?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I have an auto krafters catalog and a catalog from Johns Classic Cougars, I see all the manuals in the Auto Krafter Catalog. Was just wondering if these are all the same or are some better copies than others? I figure I will order the shop manual, and any other related ones that have to do with assembly. Are there any manuals that spell out all the little paint marks and lines on the car? such as the marks on the springs or the paint daub on the shocks?
The assembly and shop manuals are the same from AK, JCC & WCCC. If you happen to find your build sheet to your car and it's readable, it should have the paint mark codes on it. John

·
Registered
174 Posts
The assembly manual show a couple of the paint marks etc, like on the steering pitman arm, but not nearly enough , best off if you see original marks, take lots of detailed pics, and duplicate, or mask off if restoring those parts,
ps- beware those manuals are how "theoretically" things should have been assembled, but there are a lot of things in there that dont match original cars when you get down to the nitty gritty stuff like screw finishes etc, but a world of information none the less
good luck with your project, feel free to message me if you need pics of anything off of mine if it helps

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I bought my X code from a Manuel. :buck:
Whoa, I used to work with a guy named Manuel Labor. I wonder if they could be related?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts