Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not quite there but getting closer. I would like to install the front springs and shocks however the engine won't be going in till next year. Will it hurt the front shocks to be fully extended and holding the spring compressed for that long? With out the engine in the car the tension from the springs is held by just the shocks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I did this with my Mustang , they sat for a year till I put in the drive line . I have driven it in the neighborhood on a few occasions and don't see any issues at all from it . I thought about maybe causing leaks but none has raised and its been about a year and a half now since drive line has been in .

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Harvey, did you find a set of NOS shocks? John

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I am still looking though. Right now I am about to purchase a set of Monroe shocks. I have been told they are the same in appearance as the original autolites. Except the color. I would be happy if I could find one front and one rear of the originals. Broke, rusty or otherwise and I could transfer the inlay markings. I am thinking I could make a mold by rolling one in JB weld then when it is hard, use a very thin coat of bondo on the Monroe shock. Roll it over the mold and I should be able to lay the stampings on the new shock. Let it set up, lightly sand it and then paint it? What do you think? Problem is I cant even find old broken shocks!!!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Hmm, sounds like a plan Harvey. Good luck on finding the shocks. John

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
No, I am still looking though. Right now I am about to purchase a set of Monroe shocks. I have been told they are the same in appearance as the original autolites. Except the color. I would be happy if I could find one front and one rear of the originals. Broke, rusty or otherwise and I could transfer the inlay markings. I am thinking I could make a mold by rolling one in JB weld then when it is hard, use a very thin coat of bondo on the Monroe shock. Roll it over the mold and I should be able to lay the stampings on the new shock. Let it set up, lightly sand it and then paint it? What do you think? Problem is I cant even find old broken shocks!!!
You need to seek professional (psychiatric) help Harv!!

I see no issues with shocks being extended for an extended period of time, other than the difficulty in getting them in! You will never do it without adding weight the front end (a couple of people sitting on the rad support should do it!).

·
Registered
505 Posts
I had no problem putting in the shocks wo the engine installed. Once the wheel was off and the frame was on a jack stand ... I put my floor jack in front of t
He dust shield and under the rotor. A few jacks was all it took to extend the shock through the tower so it could be mounted. Wasnt a problem

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all, Bob I guess you are referring to me trying to get the stampings into the shocks. Yeah I need help. Not sure a crazy syke would do it though. Most of them are more nutty than the people they say they are treating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts