Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are everyone's opinions on what color black to paint a hood scoop, and which looks best, regardless if factory correct? the two scoops that I have are an 68gte scoop, and a 69 eliminator scoop. my car is red, and have had the gte scoop on for years with just red gelcoat color, which didn't look bad, but now want to make it look better, since repainting the car is on the horizon.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Since you asked for opinions...a black scoop looks OK on a '70 Eliminator because it ties in with the black stripes and other blacked-out elements on the car. But a body color scoop looks best on a Cougar 99% of the time.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Our Eliminator scoop will be painted the matching body color (Comp Orange) as that is correct for our car. A '69 Eliminator.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
To me... body color always looks like it was mean to be there all along as opposted to being an afterthought. It's better integrated that way. Ditto for a rear spoiler too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
car is a 67 xr7 red with black vinyl top, so I thought that the black would work well with the top. But, may have to rethink things

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
car is a 67 xr7 red with black vinyl top, so I thought that the black would work well with the top. But, may have to rethink things
I agree with cj750 the stripes help tie things together....I think you are right the black would tie the top to the scoop and if you put a rear spoiler in black would go together...Paint it with black water color see how it looks if you don't wash it off...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have seen a few 67/68 cars that had a flat black stripe (the width of the center ridge of the hood) with an eliminator scoop, so that the stripe dies off into the scoop, which looked really good. not sure if that was a trans am cougar stripe, but it also looked good, which I may go to when I have the car repainted...after i sell a kidney, the way things are going.

·
Registered
735 Posts
1968 Cougars with a 428CJ from the factory got the functional scoop and nose stripe. I don't think they were flat black - this is Bill Basore's CJ G. Stripe and scoop look gloss or perhaps matte?

Trans-Am Cougars didn't have any scoops or racing stripes.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts