Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Painter called me today. Told me that after setting hood it was sticking out 1/4 inch past the fender and extension on one side and not quite a half inch past on the left side? Hood is currently square with both fenders which are gapped to the doors. Hood is also gapped to the cowl. I know I can shim the extensions a little and the new gaskets are not currently installed. Is this allignment a big deal? Ordinary? Does the chrome normally line up straight and true all the way across the front? Thanks I was just looking at pictures of the car before I tore it down. Alignment was off then too.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
Welcome to the world of Ford quality control! First thing to check is the door to quarter gap. Then work forward. If they still don't line up you will have to fudge the gap between the door and fender. They probably won't be the same on both sides.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
What I do is "tweak" the fender and quarter extensions (i.e. bend) until I get them to line up with the hood/trunk. Then, you do body work to fix the dents where you yanked on the stud bosses and created dimples in the extensions. Not easy and definitely a finesse operation, but if done right the extensions can line up nicely with the hood/trunk. Pretty happy with mine in this respect.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
we cut a slit in the fender behind the extension and put in a pie shapped piece---you could add to the leading edge of the fender (easy) or the trailing edge of the extension (hard)
doctordesoto

·
Registered
367 Posts
Welcome to the world of Ford quality control!
x2
Mine wasn't so bad, maybe 1/8" out. I accepted mine at that variation in hopes that once the chrome is on it won't be that noticeable. Yours however sounds too far off to hope for the best, if it is not too late in the process I might take some advice from Bob Or Dr Desoto and try to tweak the parts to fit...

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You could always do what George Barris did MANY MOONS AGO, papiermache. I was around in them GOOD OLE DAYS, but NEVER did such myself. I guess some of his movie cars contained such. I would forgive him though since they were basically static pieces.

Dale in Indy

Now don't tell me I don't know how to spell, my spell check and Webster's confirms. LOL.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Ok, I'm not sure how to explain this but you can pivot the hinges forward or backwards and this will lower or raise the back part of the hood. From there you move the hood back or forward on the slots where the hood attaches to the hinges. It's an old school body trick which is difficult to explain (especially after a fw beers) and has to be shown. In other words, there are more ways than one to raise and lower a hood and move it back and forth besides moving the hinges up and down or back and forth. As mentioned before however, check all your gaps starting from the back and moving forwards. This is crucial since mistakes or off gaps multiply as you move forward.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the hood seemed to be the culprit! Kinda glad actually, some of the other ideas specially the cutting made me worried. I had noticed before that the hood sat low in mid fender. Maybe someone large had sat on the hood? Anyway painter arched the hood to match fenders then with a little (while I didn't watch) hammering on the front everything lines up nicely. This guy has me going buggy with all the different things he keeps bringing up, the painter, He called and said he needed the trunk latch so I found it, cleaned it and took it over. When I got there he told me he wanted the chrome for the front extensions and hood, oh and the center support and hood latch, and bring the headlight boxes! He says the car will ready for paint next week. I liked it better when he was going real slow on the car. I just hope I get all the screws and stuff back in the same labeled bags they went over there in. If not I will have a hard time remembering it all. Painter keeps laughing and telling me to go away and let him do his job. I have come to the conclusion that I really don't want to know how is getting some of the stuff done. I wouldn't have wanted to see him take a hammer to that hood!

·
Registered
389 Posts
ive been around cars long enough to know you NEVER want to be in the same shop with your "loved one" when a mechanic or body man or painter is doing their thing....it comes out fine in the end but it can make you cringe listening to the noises etc...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts