Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to use the spray trim adhesive as I think I will make a mess of the vinyl top and the paint. Would weather strip adhesive work?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Are you talking vinyl top or headliner? Transtar makes an auto trim adhesive that works for just about anything and I have had good luck with it....good hold and can be re positioned for awhile - but not easily.....comes in tube form or caulk

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the headliner.

·
Registered
913 Posts
NPD sell Weldon adhesive#1829 for $5.95 for 4ozs, or go to Walmart and buy Weldwood contact cement for about $9.00 for 32ozs, they both apply with a brush and work well. Follow instructions on can.
Edit, most hardware stores sell Weldwood, made by DAP

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, Will check around local. One of the reasons the headliner is coming down other than sitting in the heat is that I don't think it was clean enough. There is still some dust or grit from the paint shop on some of it. The glue they used, should I use rubbing alcohol to remove it? All in all this will be a blessing in desquize as now I will now where the holes are for the coat hooks, overhead console and other stuff.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I found a 3M adhesive at autozone that worked perfectly. Comes in a tube. Squeeze some on, wait about 3-5 mins and it will be sticky enough to hold headliner after stretching. You will need to wipe hands regularly though or fingers will get stuck together.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would be my luck! Fingers stuck to the car!! I am going to look at Auto Zone tomorrow. I would like to try some 3M Fastbond 10 if I can find it.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
What vehicle are you doing this on? The cougar (67-70 anyway) have suspended headliners that use a system of tension rods to hold the liner in place. No adhesive is used. If you are putting a glue in headliner in a 67-70 I would be interested in how it goes. I have a project I was thinking of changing the decapitated suspended headliner to a more modern foam backed glue in liner. Curious how it works out for you I'd test is what you are doing. If not..... show is pics anyway. Love to see others hard work.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wolfeman, this is on a 68. The headliner is glued all the way around the outside edge.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
OOPS!! Forgot about that little detail. For some reason I was "stuck" on the glue in part. Ha, stuck..... Thank you folks I will be here all week. Please tip your waitresses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts