Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I removed the fenders from the car I found that there is a large seal stapled to metal at the rear of the fenders and one on the front of each. Can these be purchased new? Or do I clean up the ones that I have a reuse them? The rubber on mine is about shot.

·
Registered
152 Posts
To my knowledge the rubber that goes around the "splash shields" can be bought as a kit. If you're in the same boat I am then you'll have to make new splash shields yourself. Mine were rusted through and beyond resurrection so I took the old ones and used them as a template to make new metal pieces. I used aluminum instead this time around and undercoated them as well before pop-riveting the rubber back around them and installation. Good luck and if anything the rubber kit is always available.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Harvey, actually the the rear splash shields are reproduced but the front ones aren't (Mustang front spalsh shields won't work, different fender contour). If your front & rear metal splash shields aren't rusted really bad (no rust holes or part of the metal rusted off), I would have them media blasted and you can try using the rubber seal kits. Here are some links from WCCC of the parts: Rubber seal kit, www.cougarpartscatalog.com/67splashseals.html , used front splash shields: www.cougarpartscatalog.com/c8wy-16a574-a.html , www.cougarpartscatalog.com/c8wy-16a573-a.html , repro rear splash shields without seals: www.cougarpartscatalog.com/c7zz-16102-b.html , www.cougarpartscatalog.com/c7zz-16103-b.html & repro rear splash shields with rubber seals: www.cougarpartscatalog.com/c7zz-16102-br.html , www.cougarpartscatalog.com/c7zz-16103-br.html . I bought my rubber seal kit and repro rear metal splash shields from John's Classics Cougars, but after looking at my original drivers side rear splash shield, I'm thinking about using it and getting a used passengers side rear splash shield. John

·
Registered
267 Posts
There is a company that makes 'em new. I know because I sent them some off of my car to use as the patterns. When they were done they sent me a few sets. No, I don't have any extra ones. I sold them on ebay. I can't remember the name of the company. If you could prompt me by giving me the name of the company that makes 'em for Mustangs, I could probably tell you if it was the outfit that I delt with. If I come up with the name, I'll post it here. It's hell to be senile, especially at 49.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The metal on mine is fine, If I can buy the rubber I will be good to go, then just pop rivit them on?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes. What I did, was trace the old ones on a piece of newspaper before I disassembled them. This helped me to make sure that the new ones were in position when I drilled and pop riveted them on.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Uh Oh, didn't do that. Already took the rubber and staples out! Any good ideas now?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Bolt the metal back on without the rubber attached (obviously its unattached because you already did that without tracing it). After bolting the metal back into place hold the new rubber pieces up and see where they fit best or where they will do the most good blocking road spray and water. Then trace or mark where they go. Remove the metal shields and pop rivet the rubber on. Then bolt back to the car. The shields are simple, they are only designed to block the road spray, thus do what not only looks best but will work the best. Add some rubber if needed because you've got to protect the underneath of the wheel wells. That was one of the cougar's major downfalls so lets make em' better than factory.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds good. Recon this is what I will try!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts