Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things that really bugs me about the 73 that isn't an issue with the 71-72s is that the front bumper doesn't go low enough. From the front you see waaaay too much of the front strutrod crossmember below the front bumper. The 71-72 bumper carries a bit lower so this isn't a big problem. I'm trying to think of a solution and maybe the rest of you Cats can brainstorm with me on this.

What we need is some sort of front valence panel or chin spoiler. The problem with that is that there is nothing to attach it to.

About the only thing I can think of is to use a plastic air dam type spoiler from a truck. The 93-97 full size trucks had an available front spoiler. Heck either use the plastic one that uses plastic rivits to attach to the bumper, or maybe the even bigger one that houses the foglights in the 93-95 Lightning. Hmmmmm. It might be too wide though. Ranger? Too narrow. How bout a Dodge Dakota? did they have a chin spoiler/air dam available?

C'mon guys and girls. Work with me on this one...

TIA,
Milo

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
how about you find a rice rocket and race him for the front of his body kit? lol jk jk.....

as far as something that actually relates to your question.. the Eliminator wing wont fit? how about something like the current Mustang has.. just a small flap just behind the fascia thats blacked out and not really noticeable? just thoughts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Milo

See "My Gallery" picture Tribute 911 (red-white-blue) my Dakota is in the picture. Does that help?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Having had a couple of 73's I know exactly where your coming from... I always liked the 71-2 front bumpers... they did not have that 5mph impact thingy going on....... As far as a valance or air dam goes, my 95 F150 has a black plastic piece under the bumper, that just might work with a little work... or you could just put on a 72 grill/ bumper/fender combo(JK)

Don

·
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don,
My wife's 97 F250HD (old body style) also has the black plastic air dam. I'm going to have to measure it but I'm guessing that it is too wide, not to mention that it is rounded on the ends and wouldn't match the bumper too well. BTW, my bumper will not have any of the isolators or reinforcment when I get done with it. Gotta get that 120+ pounds off the nose of the car. I'm making custom tubular brackets to hold the bumper and filler panel. The bumper will be just for show then! LOL!

Steve,
The earlier Eliminator spoilers attach to the front valence panel, do they not? At least that's how they attach to the wife's 70 Mach 1. There is no valence panel on a 71-73!

Judy,
I'm going to have to look at Dakota a bit closer to tell anything for sure.

Gee, remember back in the 70's when Vans were the big thing? If I could find the right van spoiler... :p:

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Milo, check the J.C.Whitney catalog, they still have a lot of that stuff...

Bruce

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
How about this?

Mustang spoiler...not sure the Dakota spoiler would work.

Attachments

·
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Judy,

Again, the Mustangs have a front valence panel to attach the spoiler to. A Cougar doesn't have one. Whatever I end up doing it will more than likely end up attaching to the bottom of the bumper. I like the plastic air dam solution since they're very light and attach to the bottom of the bumper, its just that I'm gonna have to find one that matches the shape of the 73 bumper.

Maybe I'll have to brush off my fiberglass fabrication skills from 20+ years ago when I worked in a fiberglass fab shop. I could make a pattern and make my own if worse comes to worse, but I really detest working with 'glass!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Oh, yeah...valance panel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts