Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 xr7 with a rally clock in the console. The clock is a fairly simple one, with two white hands for the hours and minutes, and a green hand for the seconds (I assume, I haven't had this clock hooked up yet).

I also have a clock with more elaborate markings, as well as another hand. this hand is orange, and it functions as a second hand. The green hand on this clock is static, but can be moved. I'm assuming it is some sort of simple time marker.

Anyway, I wasn't aware of different clock styles for the xr7, and I'm wondering if there were different clocks for different years, different option packages, etc... and if so, is there anywhere I can see the different options for the rally clock?

Both of the clocks I have fit the console perfectly, and they both have the correct location for the screws to hold the clock, and correct location for the power hookup in the back.

Anyone have any insight into the different rally clocks offered/used?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I am not a XR7 owner, but I think the console was an option that came with a different clock than the the sport clock with the green movable pointer that was mounted above the glove box on non console XR7 cars and Eliminators.

·
Registered
565 Posts
68 xr7 had a clock in the console like you described with the green pointer. The green pointer is a hand turned marker. There is no second hand. I think that is what makes it a "Rally Clock". Not sure why...

69 70 had the dash mounted clock on the right side for XR7 and in the gauge cluster as an option in the standard. They are a bit larger though and I don't think they would fit the console.
Can you post pictures of the second clock?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
68 xr7 had a clock in the console like you described with the green pointer. The green pointer is a hand turned marker. There is no second hand. I think that is what makes it a "Rally Clock". Not sure why...

69 70 had the dash mounted clock on the right side for XR7 and in the gauge cluster as an option in the standard. They are a bit larger though and I don't think they would fit the console.
Can you post pictures of the second clock?
I won't be able to post pictures until after the weekend, but I've done some investigation on my own. The one with the green pointer is like you describe,
but the second clock has a moving second hand. There are 4 hands in all. Both of these fit the console perfectly (I've tested them both for fit and finish, and they both fit perfectly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
68 xr7 had a clock in the console like you described with the green pointer. The green pointer is a hand turned marker. There is no second hand.
I feel fairly certain there is/was a second hand on the '67 and '68 XR7 rally clocks, at least all the ones I've seen have had one.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
68PUMA, I think you may have answered my question. That clock looks exactly like the one that works. The one that is not working seems to be missing the red indicator completely. So I believe these only came one way. Someone must have decided to fix it and broke the red marker and decided to toss it.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
6.5, I'm glad to of been of assistant. Look on the back of the clock that isn't working and see if C7WY-15000-B1 or -B2 is marked on there. That would be the part # for a '67-'68 XR-7 clock. John

·
Registered
565 Posts
Thanks for that catch 68 Puma. I just pulled mine out of a box and indeed it does have a second hand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts