Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again, I have anouther, beginner's question if I may. I Just saw Logans lost pics, and let ne say, That is one Beautiful car! My question is, my 68 has I white vinyl top, which im so fond of, is it posible to remove it? If so does any one have any suggestions? Thanks for your time everyone.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yes, you can remove the vinyl top. Just a lot of prep time to get the roof ready for paint. You will have to remove the chrome trim for the windshield, backglass, and drip rail.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
What he said. Usually when you remove the vinyl top, you'll find your roof is rotted out underneath. Count on a fair amount of repair work and alot of finish work to get the roof straight enough for paint... You'll also need to fill the mounting holes for the trim pieces, but that's no biggy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
PRESERVE!

Think about it before you lose it. The Landau top is a Cougar's and Thunderbird's trademark option...Mustang's didn't get them till like '74....
Think about keeping it....It might grow on you and retain resale value...

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Again, that gets into one's personal goals. If you're doing a restomod like I was, vinyl roof's just aren't "IN" today IMHO... Then there's the cool factor to consider. :)

If your goal is restoration, then there's no question, glue a new one on. :)

To each his own...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Don't worry about orignality if you want to take it off. Its one thing that can always be put back on at any time. mm

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
MM makes a damn good point there... :)

Take the quarter trim off yourself though, lest the body shop throw the hard to replace trim out...

·
Registered
889 Posts
if your keeping your top

take it off your self.That way you can repair the rust or the 1/4 seams by the roof.Some times the top men will put one on without fixing the water damage.Or at the factory they dont finish some of the 1/4 seams gust a rough grind.Also you will get a better job out of it.Thats a factory top.I think it has two seams.Make sure they put a 2 seam back on.Back in 76 I put tops on for 3years out of school there are top guys and the others see what work they did.Take it for what its worth Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts