Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Can anyone help me with a slight problem so that I can purchase another cougar? I'm just curious. I have a fleeting chance to make a purchase of a '73 cat with a 460 4v in it (non original). The BIG problem is that, while I have the money to buy it, the money really is intended for payment of bills etc., etc.. Can anyone tell me any info on the 460? Even if I were to get the car; even with the excitement of knowing I had a REALLY BIG big block, I don't think I would ultimately want to keep the engine. Is there much of a demand for a 460? If so, even if not, what would the average price be for one if I were to try to sell it by itself? I realize condition and so on and so on play a major role but I'm just curious what my chances of recouping even some of the asking price for the car, which, by the way, is down to $500 at the moment. I won't be broke, I won't have the electric cut off nor loose my house or anything like that if I purchase the car LOL!! I just need to somehow convince the Mrs. that this one REALLY isn't a bad investment and that I can buy it and STILL be able to finish ragcat. Any information, offers to buy the 460 (hint, hint), or other general advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx
Chuck

·
Registered
269 Posts
If it saves Cougar from the crusher - please buy it. Before getting too excited about a 460 - remember they have been continually produced for over 25 years and are readily available as crate engines.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

There IS no replacement, For displacement...:D
I dont really know what the limit is on the blocks, but I think they are capable of over 520 ci.
Lots of aftermarket stuff available, but expensive...
shane:D
PS- I allready got several C9VE/DOVE 429's saved up, Leftovers from a mustang habit I had before I bought the Eliminator...

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
The pre smog Lincoln 460 was 365 hp and 460 footpounds...Not bad out of the box...

Bruce

·
Registered
614 Posts
Should I even get into this? I can't believe this question has been asked! :D j/k

Lotsa fun, man. Running ANY kind of big-block can be expensive (if you go crazy with it), no matter what make it is. Gobs of power, and big-blocks make that power a little easier (read : cheaper) than small blocks. If you were going the daily driver route, I might say no. Maybe. Depends on how much you drive in the course of a day.

Wrink's right: there's no replacement for DISplacement. And you're not gonna find a more pleasing sound in the world than a big-block with a lumpy idle. I smile every time I fire it up. :D

Don't let the 'pure aggravation' thing in my signature fool you. I wouldn't give that up for the world.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
chuck keep the 385 series i am really enjoying mine in the rachero and man lots of nice low end tourque add that to no weight in the rear and you get what starting from a stop is like most of the time. do a modded cougar even more radical than ragcat, obviosly your not into the whole got to have a stock cat thing so why not keep the 460 in it? build it have fun with it and smoke some small block cars. sounds like allot of the mods may have been done to accept the engine so your up there with BB Horse power so my vote is keep it as is and turn it into one narley restomod.

·
Registered
751 Posts
460 in a nothing car

I had the idea a while back of shoving a 514 CJ into a little itty bitty Maverick. A 460 is a streetable version of the 514, so I'd keep it if it were me. Unfortunately, I'm too broke (College, Cleo, and [most importantly] a great girl) to get the little Mav. There fore, I'm too broke to get your motor from you, even if I had a car to put it in......

Sudden idea:

Mom wants to upgrade the 81's engine. The 302 in it is not bad, just a little old. It can be rebuilt, but it'd take some care to the engine. If you decide to shrink it, I'd offer a swap, if she wants the motor. I'm not quite sure how the 460'd work in the truck, though.....

Sorry, off on a tanget, or rather, thinking out loud.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts