Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to rebuild the suspension on my '68 XR7, and right now I'm researching shocks. I'm starting here and then I'll move onto the springs, bushings, ect...

It seems that everybody is recommending the KYB's which seem to be a good value at $100.00 +/- for 4 shocks.

The other alternative that I've found are Koni's which cost much more that those $100.00 KYB's. Now I don't mind paying extra if I'm going to get extra and I really do want the best for my car in regards to suspension (and other stuff too).

Will the more expensive shocks ride better, last longer, and provide added features or are these high priced shocks overkill for my Cougar?

·
Registered
406 Posts
KYB's saved my life!!!

Well they didn't really save my life, but there was this one time when I was puting my car back on it's own legs and some how I slipped and the car instantly fell about a 1 1/2 feet straight unto my garage floor. In a second I thought I had really messed up my car, but the axle didn't even hit the bumper stops! Everything was fine thanks to those KYB's I had just put on. Koni's are great, but at five times the cost of KYB Gas-A-Just's, I just can't see how a person that drives they're cougar on the street would ever need them. Unless you drive your car to work every morning like a scene from Bullitt, I don't think you'd ever need them. They are better than the KYB's, but in my mind they're not worth it. I will say from my own personal experience that the KYB's are awesome, and you will notice, for sure, a difference when you throw them on. I also recomend a rear sway bar, and an up grade to the front sway bar. I can honestly say that my car handles better than a lot of imports with these things. Oh yeah don't let the price of the Contour Coil springs fool you. They're cheap but I sure do love them. You sacrafice some ride quality, but it's well worth it when you live in the hills like I do. Oh yeah, last thing - go with polyurethane bushings, yeah sometimes you hear them squeek every-once-in-awhile, but they last forever and really stiffen things up down there. They're really the best way dollar for dollar to get better handling. Well I could talk about this forever, because all I did all summer was work on my suspension, but I think I got it all covered for now. - Chad

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just recently installed the KYB Gas-A-Justs on my 1970 Cougar and I'm very happy with the ride. I also did front springs with some coils cut and a lowering block kit for the rear. See the ride height results in a chart here:

http://www.mikesjunk.com/cougarup.html

I purchased mine from emustang.com (aka CJ Pony Parts) for $99.95 for all four plus shipping ($109 to my door). They advertise this price, usually inside the back cover of the Mustang mags. Unfortunately neither their webpage or sales people have this price...so you have to direct them to the ad and ask for it...BUT they did honor the price!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have Competition Engineering adjustable shocks on my '67 Cougar. I also take mine drag racing from time to time. I was pretty close to purchasing the KYB's till I decided I wanted to go this route with the car. Ton's of people choose KYB's and for a good reason. They are an excellent choice in quality and the value is unbeatable. I agree with the others in this thread, I'de go with the KYB's.;)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I'll second that. I had KYBs put on at Winston tires when I put on the BFGs. They said they'd honor any advertised price, and they did.

They are made for handling. They don't give much lift under acceleration. Not much dive under braking either.

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

·
Registered
102 Posts
Shocking Reply!

KYBs are hands down the best choice for the money. They're ideal for aggressive street driving (as opposed to actual racing), because they can handle the load under stress, but they still give your Cougar a decent ride when you're taking it easy. In fact, my first stop after I get my Cat back from Seattle in a few days will be to pick up a new set of KYB shocks.

Keep on Cattin'!

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you shop around enough, you can get these from some Mustang parts vendors in magazines for right around $100 for a complete set. That's a pretty sweet deal for performance that you'll feel right away. This is just my personel opinion. but I think they are better than Manroe's, Bilstein's, Motocraft or any other shocks you would walk in and get at the auto parts stores. I think that is why so many Cougar/Mustang vendors stock these is because the reputation and the quality and every one seems to refer others to KYB's. Much like we're doing here.;)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Six out of six Cougar Owners prefer KYB Gas-Adjust shocks to all other leading brands... LOL :cool:

Thanks for the feedback! I can see by your comments that these shocks are your fav for a wide variety of cats, from the big cube cats to the more tame small blocks. So I think I'll go ahead and pick up a set of the KYB's and the money saved can be spent on other performance goodies. :D

ROCK On!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used to own a '92 Toyota MR2 (Gasp!!) Yes, I know, an Import. This was after I'd previously owned 3 other Cougars, too; 2 67's and a '68. At any rate, here's the deal: My MR2 was a lean, low, mid-engined curve-hugger. There are some tight 90 degree turns just north of my parents' house, opposing directions, and the Mister could enter them doing about 35 and leave them doing about 45, using the throttle to push the car to its very limit of traction all the way around the curves. Very impressive.
My '67 XR7 originally wallowed around corners like a powerboat; lots of body lean, and all four tires yowling, the front end suffering badly from understeer. I lowered the upper control arms 1 1/2 inches, using the '67 Shelby template (AKA "Shelby Mod") replaced my front coil springs, upgraded to a thicker anti-sway bar up front, and put KYB shocks on all four corners. I put on 15x7 rims, and 205/60 tires on all four corners.
FYI, the original suspension on the early Cougars was *designed* to cause understeer; having the upper control arm at such a steep angle compared to the lower one causes the tire on the outside of a turn to lean in as the suspension compresses, and that makes your tire basically roll over onto its sidewall... not a great way to get traction. Fixing the geometry by moving the upper control arm a bit makes a *huge* difference.

The Cougar can enter those corners at 40, and leave them at almost 55 mph.

Enough said.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I was thinking about doing the shelby thing. I don't think I could use the contour coil springs if I did that again though. I hate taking those springs off. I should have just done it before and got it done with :( - Chad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts