Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 cougar that I am doing a restomod on. I would like to run 17 X 8 wheels.
The wheels that I have have a 4.25 inch offset.
Does anyone have any experience with this setup

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I have 17x8 with 4.5 and I am running into probs with the fender clearance. It seems my Shelby relocate and drop springs are going to be a problem. Sigh!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Don't think those wheels will work...standard bs is 4.50 and max is 4.75 depending on upper ball joint. Sell them and get the correct wheels but still be prepared to roll the fender lips..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really like the stance of your car
I noticed that you are running 17x9 on the front of your cougar with a 5 inch offset.
That would give you 4 inches to the outside.
the 17x8 with a 4.25 offset would have 3.75 inches to the outside.
I am wondering if I can make this work with the proper size tires. maybe 235/45 17. these are only 25.5 inches tall.
My car has the TCI coil over conversion on the front and I will be running a new 5.0 coyote.
I plan to use 1inch lowering mideye leafs of the rear with track master bars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have 4.5 bs, 8 wide on the front with 245-40-17 with 5.5 bs, 9.5 and 275-40-17 on the rear. Doesn't seem to have any clearance issues with the front. I have TCP coil over front suspenion.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
67Coug5.0 By chance are you running the coys c-67s? I've been looking at those, and that is what they speced for me. I have a 68 w/ the Street or Track Coilovers... I hope they will fit w/out issue.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Im also looking at running 17x8 wheels on our 1967. It seems that 4.5-4.75 BS is the most common backspacing.
Our car has the standard suspension, do you think we will run into problems with running 225/45(50) tires in front and maybe 235/45(50) in the rear?

What are my options if 17x8 doesn't fit? I looking for the open-track, road-racy look with a bit more rim and slightly less tire. How similar are the mustang to the cougars wheel wells? Seems like many can fit 17x8 inch rims on 67-69 mustangs without much of a problem.

Any input is appreciated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts