Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys looing for a little help, I just got a 1967 Courgar XR-7/GT and I have started the process of documenting everything. The car had been repainted red and they painted over the door data plate, how is the best way to remove the paint to expose the tag. Its easy enough to read because of the raised letters/number, but I want to restore it for photos. Also the Buck Tag looks like it was painted black from the factory along with the parts around it, so I think I should leave that alone. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have had some luck using finger nail polish remover,but most everything that will remove paint, will remove part of the black on the door tag. The buck tag was painted over like you thought.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Here's a place that restores tags: www.datatags.com . I have never used them. Just putting the info out there. John

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Good luck cleaning the tag up. I have tried solvents, but they seem to take everything. I tried some walnut shells in the bead blaster and if I had better control, I think it would have worked. Let us know if you find a solution. In the mean time, you can get an exact reproduction from Marti Auto works. The buck tag was painted black when the car was assembled. I have stripped them and there is no print underneath. Some buck tags are made from recylced door tags. If you buck tag has two holes in it, it is probably a recycled door tag.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Is it appropriate to remove the door tag when painting and then replace it when done? and if so where would you get the right rivits?

·
Registered
2,739 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I know a guy that used some tape that was extra tacky, to lift and peel off the paint from the door tag. Doesn't always work though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts