Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 69 standard convertible and have been going over the car learning the cars biggest needs, you know how it is when you get a new toy. My Question is; does all 69's have 9 inch rears and can anybody tell me what the most common ratio was for these cars (I.D. tag pretty rusty and can't read), I do know it is a open rearend.
Thanks Yarddog

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's some good information, I appreciate it.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
From whaqt i have gathered 9 inch was the only rearend in 1969 and 70 and if you have a early windsor or later cleavland that wont change more than likely your running 3.0 or less but here are the codes most came with the 2.79.

Eqpmnt Code Non-Locking Locking
0 - 3.00
2 2.75 -
3 2.79 -
4 2.80 -
6 3.00 -
7 3.10 -
9 3.25 -
A 3.50 -
K - 2.75
M - 2.80
Q - 3.00
R - 3.25
S - 3.50
V - 3.91
W - 4.30

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
cougarguy, you're right, starting in 69, every cougar got a 9 inch. In my experience, 3.00:1 was the most common gear set installed...

·
Registered
448 Posts
9"

The 3.00 traction lok shows as a O code in the door tag. For some reason many of the ford parts id manuals list it incorrectly. I have the door tag for the car that my rear came out of and it is stamped O not Q.
Paul G.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is a 9 in. but i can't tell what the tag say's even after wire brush. I'm gonna have to take the tag off and put it on the wire wheel in the shop to try to make it out. I do know that it is open because the wheels turn opposite each other. I appreciate all the replys, I'm sure there will be many other questions in the future.

Thanks, Yarddog

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Just mark your drive shaft and tires and see how many times the tires make a full rotation for each complete rotation of the driveshaft.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts