Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Contributing Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if 31 spline axles from a 68 t'bird will fit the 9" housing from a 69-70 Cougar?:1zhelp:
Thanks

·
11,000 Posts
The bearing size is wrong and they are too long. The answer is not even close!

·
Contributing Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Royce!

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts

·
11,000 Posts
By the way, I just bought a new set of 31 spline billet steel axles from Moser for one of my cars. All the 67 - 70 Cougars use identical axle lengths in the 9" and 8 inch rears, in fact the 28 spline 8" axles fit the 9" as well.

Anyway the 31 spline Mosers were $398 including a set of retainers delivered to my door with the bearings installed and studs installed. Took five business days.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Royce,

I'm considering doing something similar. Moser had one page which requests a variety of axle length measurements. If you have them at the ready, could you post them here? Two more questions, and I promise to stop.

1. Do all 31 spline axles use the big bearings?
2. If I could convert from 28 to 31 spline, would it be a custom order?

Thanks,

Steve C.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey Royce.....
Do you have the stock 31 spline axles that you took out for sale ??? :) Let me know, I am in your neck of the woods and would love to see your fleet when I come over to pick up MY new axles for my Mach 1 CJ project car. LOL
[email protected]

·
Registered
87 Posts
hey guys....along the same question...
will 66 fairlane 31 spline axles fit the 69-70 cougar / mustang stock housing?

·
11,000 Posts
Ken,

You are welcome to visit any time, just call first 859-866-7684.

The rear axles on my blue GTE were changed to 28 spline by a previous owner. I had a correct 31 spline center section but an original set of 31 spline axles is hard to find so the Mosers got the job.

Steve, I have the spec sheet here somewhere.

Cougar / Mustang in 1967 - 70 use "Fairlane" size axle bearings in the aftermarket - axle terminology now in vogue.

·
Contributing Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Royce;
Thanks again. That is good info. So, if I understand you correctly, I could use the existing 28-spline axles from my 68, a new housing from a 69-70 and a 28-spline Detroit Locker if I were inclined to find another locker and save the 31-spline for a future project.

·
11,000 Posts
Marty,
That is correct. 28 spline 9 inch axles from 67 - 70 are the same ones used in 8 inch rears from 67 - 68 in Cougars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts