Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '67 Cougar with non-power drums all around. Is it possible to put a power brake booster in without converting to disc brakes? Is there much point in going to power brakes without going to discs? Does anyone know of a good source of information on this?

Thanks,

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yes you can upgrade your non-power drums to powered drums. Along with the power booster, you will need to add a power brake pedal as well, as they pwr-brake pedal is different. You can use your non-pwr brake pedal, but your pedal will go pretty much all the way to the floor when stopping.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was just thinking about this myself.
Is it as simple as getting a booster, mounting it and hooking up the vacuum? Will everything fit, bolt on, or is it anything else than the booster itself and the pedal that you need to get or modify?

·
Registered
122 Posts
You will need the booster, booster mounting bracket, a pwr-brake M/C, power brake pedal, and new brake lines going from the M/C to the proportioning valve, as the old ones are bent differently for non-pwr brakes if I remember correctly.

I'm doing the same on my 67 Mustang which is almost identical to the 67 cougar. the only difference that I'm doing, is adding the disk brakes, which requires a few more things to be changed out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts