Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, caught the flu and decided to take the day off today, and find out a little more about what exactly my cat has on it. Looking through the receipts of the PO, I noticed that he had installed "Turbo Mufflers", which I have also heard called "Glasspacks" or "Hot Doggies". Personally, I find the sound fine, with the sharp bark nice when you gun the engine.

Had some questions about them though, and some research on the 'net turned up nothing. What exactly *are* Turbo Mufflers? How are they built up, where do they differ from stock mufflers or Flowmasters? Soundwise, how are glasspacks different from Flowmasters? Is a 40 series Flow louder or quieter? Do glasspacks last for the life of the car, or will I eventually have to get them replaced? If so, how soon? Lastly, what is the performance purpose of them, if any? I've heard that Flowmasters try to emulate straight exhaust by using angled plates (Baffles?) to cushion out the noise.

Thanks a lot guys, this forum is a great place to learn all the technicalities of the car I've grown to love.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
'Turbo' mufflers are a generic term used for the short oval mufflers found on the original 60s Corvair Monza Spyder (turbocharged) hence the name 'Turbo'. They were shorter and less restrictive than standard mufflers and as such were a bit louder than stock. They may or may not have fiberglass matting inside for noise control depending on whose mufflers you are using.

Your stock mufflers were probably around 20" long, and about 11"x5" oval in cross section. The turbos are generally 11-13" long and 9"x4" oval in cross section.

Glasspacks are generally straight through mufflers about 4-6" in diameter and 16-18" long. Glasspacks have a perforated section of pipe inside that is surrounded by fiberglass matting. The fiberglass matting is a sound deadener, and therefore it is supposed to absorb some of the sound pulses from the exhaist as it goes by. Other brand names for glasspacks are CherryBombs or Purple Weenies and other colorful names, depending on who made them.

Soundwise? It is hard to say since we don't know which brand or type of mufflers you have on there now, but it would probably be safe to say that 40-series Flowmasters would be louder. Flowmaster also makes quieter mufflers if you really don't want to attract undue attention form the noise police.

Now, will you have to replace your mufflers in your car's lifetime? That depends on your climate, how much you drive the car, how hot your exhaust is, etc. Moisture is the enemy of all exhaust systems. The condensation that collects inside will rot them out from the inside. Being you are in SoCal, you probably won't have the system rust out from the outside like us midwesterners do. The duals on my old 89 Marquis would rot out the pipes in less than three years due to road salt! Around here it pays to use aluminized pipe, or some people even go with stainless for the longevity issue.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Pretty good explanation CJ, the Flowmasters wont be louder though. They have a different 'distinct' sound altogether. The glasspacks have a crackly snappy sound to them that Flowmasters dont (I hate the crackly snappy sound) performance wise you wont tell much difference either way but the nod would have to goto the glasspack if it is a straight through type, they also made those that weren't. But rust lasting wise (I have a garage and we bend and install exhaust) DEFINATELY get aluminized pipe and the Flowmasters will last as long as the pipe (They are aluminazied inside and out without fiberglass matting to hold the condensation) the glass packs design holds water in them and they rust out fast.
Sound wise NO ONE beats Flowmaster, any time you hear a mean sounding Mustang GT drive by if you follow and look I'd almost guarantee he has flows on it!!!
Its all in what you like though...
Scott

·
Registered
614 Posts
The sound levels can change depending where you put the mufflers in an exhaust system, too. Best example is on a pickup truck. The further back you place a glasspack, and the LONGER the glasspack, the quieter the sound. Does this make sense? I don't know.

But, I do know that if you choose the glasspacks that bolt to the header collector, it will be louder than if you put them further down in the system.

If I'm totally wrong, let me know. I like to learn, even what I thought I already knew! :D

·
11,000 Posts
I had Thrush glasspacks bolted directly to the headers on my first '67 Cougar. They sounded pretty good at first but after the Minnesota winter of '73 - 74 they were completely covered with rust on the outside and no longer sounded the same.

I like the Flowmasters best of anything legal for street use.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Actually the glass packs are more restictive than Turbos or Flowmasters. The perforations act asrestrictors and cause turbulance in the exhaust flow.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hello all! I myself am real confused about the flowmaster styles
(30s, 40s, delta, etc). what is the difference and which are quieter? Thanks! Bob

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i had 3 chamber Flowmasters on my car for a while. they were cool and sounded nice, but they were a little too quiet for me. so i got the 2 chamber Delta Flows ( quieter 40 series ) i like them. the car still really isnt THAT loud and I still think its quite liveable. i also have full taillpipes and 2 1/2 inch dual exhaust. dumps ahead of the rear axle will make the car VERY VERY loud and drummy. just ask anyone with dumps. if you have full taillpipes, keep em. youll love the car alot more.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ok, now you all have me wondering. I have a glasspack on my car. It is about mid way down the system. The muffler is in the correct place right behind the gas tank. It sounds good for single exhaust. I am going to dual sometime this year. What do you think about Thrust brand and Dyno max. I remember when I was a kid some years ago a buddy of mine had the thrust type on his 69 roadrunner they sounded mean.
I really don't like the sound of flowmasters. They sound to metalic to me.
Paul W. 67std

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
i have hookers on the ranchero and flowmasters on the 69 and 70 cat. I prefer the sound of the hookers and will probably change over. I havent heard the dynomax as of yet but i prefer the deeper throuted note over the tinnier note of the flowmaster.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I have glass packs on my 70 conv. and I have one for them "LOUD!!".Unless you want to atract the wrong kind of attention,I would recommend one of the turbo mufflers..Just my opinion..

Bruce

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
The dynomax are a VERY overrated turbo. I had a set of the Stainless ones on my 88 T-top and the sounded like chep turbos or the glasspacks that are baffled. To each his own but nothing beats the Flowmasters in my book..

Scott

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Everyone has made good points on this topic so I'll just add my two cents... mostly my opinion...

Glasspacks are very outdated and are not particularly performance enhancing. But they are inexpensive. By outdated, not many people use them and you'll never see a pro built car run them. Whether you like the sound or not, Flowmasters are very good performancewise and are factory designed to be that way, hence the name. All the other brands, dynomax, borla, etc. are very equal in my opinion. They all last quite a while, perform well and sound decent.

Either way, you'll appreciate your car more if you run a full system with tailpipes and put the mufflers just in front of the rear axle.

Mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts