Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i've got some questions about electronic ignition...
Does anyone have it installed in their car? Are you happy with the performance? What brand did you go with? How does it all hook up? does anything go in place of the distributor?
Any answers would be great. This is a total foreign concept to me, so give me what you've got.

-- Caleb --

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I have the Crane XR700 elec. ignition in my other car. It takes a box, and quite a few wires, but I really like it. It was alot cheaper then the pertronics around here, and the speed shop stocked them so I got it. Ive had it for 3 years now and its trouble free. I just swapped it into the 390, so we'll see how well it runs in that in a few weeks :) It was already bolted up, just needed to install it in the dist. which was super easy. :)

Rick

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i have teh Pertronix kit in my car. it was about $80 or so and hooked up easy. two wires go into it, one i spliced into a coil wire and the other i have just kinda hooked to the coil. the engine ran smoother, but i doubt i picked up any power. the best thing is that i dont have to deal with ignition points anymore. and that alone was worth the price. ive had it about a year and a half now and its great. no problems with it at all

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
i have petronix in all but the ranchero and its getting it soon as i can afford it i wouldnt go any other way. ive had no troubles since 1998 when i first installed it in my 70 and 99 in my 69 and 2001 in my bird. i was in the speed shop today picking up some hood pins for the chero and the guy told me that crane is coming out with a petronix type so keep an eye out for it.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I have the pertronix in the 70 and the 67 still has points.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I just bought a petronix kit for my 67. I saw an ad I think it was for Crane maybe(?) for a petronix style kit that goes in the distributor but it also has an adjustable rev limiter in the little box you can adjust by taking the dist. cap off and using a little screw driver. I think the price was bout $140 so I just spent to $80 on the Petronix cause I dont need the revv limiter with a pretty much stock engine and an auto trans...
If you want to race go MSD... I have used them alot and NEVER had a minutes problem. I have a friend who bought a Jacobs Electronic kit and after 3 months his car started running like crap and we finally traced it down to the kit and they wouldnt stand behind it because we cut the long a$$ wiring harness for it when we installed it (To make it look better) so I am DEFINATELY not a fan of theirs!!!
Scott

·
Registered
108 Posts
I installed the Pertronix Ignitor and the Flame-Thrower coil just after Christmas. I noticed right off the bat a slight increase in power, and my gas mileage has jumped from 16.5-17 to now 18-18.5.

It was way easy to install, it took me about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I used an Accel distributor (electronic pickup, no points); I've had no problems, but I haven't tuned it properly yet. Right now, the vacuum advance is capped because it was pulling something like 45* advance at 3000 rpm, and we didn't have time to tune (that was the first day that we got the rebuilt engine running). The hard lessons were:
1) The stock coil is not up to the task.
2) Don't power the coil from the electric choke on the carb (the resistor/bimetal strip brings the voltage way down, and with electronics if the voltage drops it doesn't just have less spark, it actually shuts off).

·
Registered
89 Posts
I like to use the Ford Duraspark with an MSD 6AL. The MAD takes the place of the Duraspark box and is easier to hook up than the Duraspark Box. You will need MAD's Tach Adaptor to run your factory tach with an MSD. This is my favorite igniition set-up.

Mark Piechowski

1 - 10 of 10 Posts