Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I give up. Does anyone have a good idea of how to get the boomerang trim, roof rail trim, and the stainless window trim to marry up on the 67/68? I have tried several roof rail trims, adhesives, hammer and nails (kidding) but it keeps popping out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
the boomerang trim on my car is popping up too. i'd be interested in finding out the same info. c'mon fellas........help us out! :)

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
I know the problem all to well. I've heard of folks using JB Weld to glue it down. Mine's being rechromed now and I'll fight with it when it get's back. The damm studs on the bottom of it are not long enough to go into the holders. How about taking a nut and epoxy/weld it to the underside of the piece. Then after it's on the car, go up with a small screw, I'm talking 4-40, or 6-32, with a washer and even some locktite and screw it in place? It just has to catch a couple of threads. Just a thought guys, let me know how you make out.

Sensei

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey guys, the JB weld trick (well any 2 part epoxy putty) works like a charm. The PO on my 67 had used rivets...right through the top of the trim, then used putty to hide then painted silver!!!!!:rolleyes: (they are changed now!!) There is not much clearance between the trim holder and the body and if there is contact with a srew or rivet.....hello rust!!! Here is a thread I started a while back...might be of some help. http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1007&highlight=trim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts