Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Q's on a '67 in Pittsburgh

Hi Cat People!

I'm a Mustanger thinking of adding a cat. I know my 'stangs, and for the most part early Cougars were very similar, yes?

Some questions for you good people: I'm talking with the owner of the '67 which appeared on eBay as auction #1870827806. Now, I've seen enough Mustangs in person to know that all is not always as it appears in the ads or even in the pics, but if this one is everything claimed and it appears to be, what would be a good price range? Please also see the other set of pictures given as a URL in the listing.

Second, what was included in the 1967 GT package, beyond the 390?

Finally, if I come to a tenative price with this guy, is there someone in the Pittsburgh area who might be willing to have a look with a critical eye on my behalf?

Many thanks for your patience with my first post here!

Steve

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your welcome! I admire the Cat.... and the wife doesn't want me to buy another 'stang. Pretty sure that this isn't what she meant, but.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pony, I live near Pittsburgh, and also work near there. If you can give me a SPECIFIC address, I'll try to take a look this weekend. Saying the car is in Pittsburgh is pretty vague cause its a pretty big city.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'll let you know...

I'm supposed to be talking to the gentleman shortly. I'll get an address and LYK, if things look good. If not, I understand that there's a few more out there.... :D

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
okay there is allot different on the 67 cat than the 67 stang. they do share electrical parts and engine driveling but body wise not much else except the front glass and some side glass. the gt has this packages
The following chart shows the advertised equipment included on a base model Standard hardtop.

Cougar 289 V-8 Engine
Sporty floor shift transmission
7.35 x 14 tires
111" wheelbase; 58.1" wide wheel tread
All synchronized 3-speed manual transmission
Rubber-cushioned Road Control Front Suspension w/articulated compliance struts
Hotchkiss drive rear suspension with 59" long rear springs
Aluminized 2-stage exhaust with resonator and transverse muffler
Economical 2.80:1 rear axle
All-vinyl bucket seat interiors
Unit-built body with platform chassis
Reversible keys and keyless door locking
3-spoke sports type steering wheel
3-pod instrument cluster with full complement of lights, controls and gauges
Deep-loop color-keyed carpet
Bright-trimmed suspended pedals
Dual concealed headlamps
Full wheel covers
Full wheel cutouts, front and rear, with sculptured flanges and bright moldings
Sequential turn signals
Curved glass side windows with bright integral frames
Concealed gas tank filler behind hinged license plate
Sculptured sheetmetal peak for beltline
Thin dual full-length paint stripes

1967 Optional Equipment:
GT performance package $ 325.85 Power steering $ .95.00
Air conditioner 355.95 AM radio 60.05
Heavy-duty battery 4.77 AM/FM radio 133.65
Rear bumper guards 12.95 AM radio w/stereo tape 188.50
Electric clock 15.76 Bench seat w/ctr armrest 24.42
Courtesy light group 16.85 Shoulder belts 27.06
Door edge guards 4.40 Speed control 71.30
Tinted glass 30.25 Sports console 57.00
Tinted windshield 21.09 Tilting steering wheel 60.05
Deck lid luggage carrier 32.45 Comfort-weave vinyl 33.05
Oxford roof 84.25 Deluxe wheel covers 18.79
Two-tone paint 27.06 Wire wheel covers 69.51
Power brakes 42.29 Visual check panel 39.50
Power disc brakes 84.25 Styled steel wheels 115.15
check out here at this link
http://www.cougarclub.org/Cougars101/gt.shtml
hope this helps and glad to bring you into the fold if you buy a cat. you will find that this is a great group and better bunch of people you will never find.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

That's a terrific link and a bunch of good info.

·
Registered
648 Posts
That particular car wasn't an actual GT. The owner just slapped some GT badges on it.

I might be wrong, but I think the only engine available with the GT option in '67 and '68 was the 390 S code. Unless of course you got the GT-E with a 427 or 428...

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am mistaken...:)

Ken

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I know that it's not a real GT (and you're right about the engine). That's the reason I asked for the GT package components, to find out if he applied more than just the fender emblems and wheels. The engine is still a cammed C-code 289.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
427 and 428 were a 68 only not available in 67
and of course 428 was also 69 70 as well.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh well

After talking with the owner, it looks like what we have here is a nice, mostly original, low-mileage 289 cougar that still needs a little work. He's unwilling at this time to really go below about $4500, which seams to me a bit high, particularly considering that I'd have to arrange for cross-country transport.

I'll keep looking... I already have email into Cascade Classics (who are pretty much local for me). If anyone regularly looks at Cats for fun and wants to keep me in mind, please PM me for details on what I need.

Also, if anyone is interested in the car I've been talking about, it's located in Mars, PA, PM me for contact info.

Thanks, and hopefully I'll be talking with you again in the near future!

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
your in seatle area i wouldnt bring anything from backeast especially a mock clone. better sheetmetal out here by far look at the southwest. arizona and california area. less to travel and could be done in a weekend

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Travel is not really possible... I'm expecting a baby in about a week. I'm relying on the local market, and the kindness of fellow Ford/Mercury enthusiasts to check these things out for me!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Hi Steve, welcome and good luck with your cat search, let us know when the little one arrives, seem to be a lot of new little ones on this site lately. Hope its not catching..........[seeing as I already have 5].:D

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On my Mustang board too! I guess there's something in the tranny fluid....

Thanks for the welcome.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts