Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
building car for resale has a vinyl top ? vinyl top or not colour is emerald metallic 1 of 12 ?what would you do? thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
390 Posts
Some people like the vinyl top, I think they look good on a Cougar myself, especially with a Q code chassis very cool, but do whatever's easiest being your just selling it anyway, booo!

·
Registered
913 Posts
I would put it back the way it came from the factory!

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Depends on what type of restoration you're doing. If it's dead stock, leave the vinyl top. If you're modifying it in other areas, I'd remove the vinyl top which would make it more universally appealing.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Keep vinyl top and stay true to original this us probably more advantagus for resale especially if it is an unusual combination.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Q codes are rare. The more original the better price it should bring !

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Q codes are rare. The more original the better price it should bring !
UNLESS it is an "ugly" combination. "Unique" is not always good :-/

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Stay with originality.Regardless of the color combo.Being a Q code means money right there.If it was a H code or a M code that be different.

thanks
pat

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I agree that vinyl tops look better on Cougars than many other cars. Nonetheless, I don't personally care for them, and would never put one on a car I planned to keep. (OK, maybe if it was a houndstooth top on a '70 with matching interior. Maybe.)
But you said for resale, and in that case, originality wins out.
I could be wrong, but as vinyl tops become an increasingly rare sight, given that the OEMs have pretty much abandoned them for several years now, I see them losing their "old folks car" stigma and becoming another vintage "feature" that adds character.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
If I were keeping it-- no way I'd keep the vinyl - but if I were flipping it - I would put it back the way it was - but improve the cheezy way the factory did it....to elliminate later rust returning. Anything worth doing is worth doing right. I'd take good pics as I refinnished to show the work that went in. I think it will help with quality to show for your efforts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts