Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pulling my heads next week and it occurred to me that i could replace the pushrods and maybe the lifters. Would it be worth it? Do i need specialty tools to pull the lifters? and would i use hydraulic or mechanical(lifters) for a stock 351w with stock heads?

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
YEs replace pushrods rockers and lifters as required. Lifters often pull up out of bores but some need lube. Rockers and push rods are worm when the rods look like a Turkish temple top where meets rocker. If shiny part of rocker is ccccovering the oiling hole its a discard. Lifters are gone when bottom is concave and not convex.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
not really needed unless you have lifter tick, or the pushrods are bent. You dont need a special tool to pull the lifters out, needle nose pliers work :D IF you pull the lifters, remember to use moly lube on the lifter bottoms, and do a proper break in (dont let it idle for 20 min. or so), or you'll kill your cam quick. So, not really worth it if theres something wrong.

rick

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's a proper break in?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I use a strong magnet to pull lifters. I got it out of a huge woofer.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I took out the camshaft, pistons and crackshaft, inverted the engine and tapped them out using a wooden stick (probably the wrong way to do it, but there was a load of slug (or whatever the term is for the blackish-brownish stuff found in engines) on the lifters and they wouldn't come out any other way.

Cheers!
Matthijs

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
lifter sifter

If you have a stock windsor, then you more than likely have a hydraulic lifter setup. So, replace as needed with the right thing.
If your engine is all gooey, you might have a couple of gooey lifters too. So, replacement might not be a bad idea.
And if they are gooey or crusty and you decide to pull them out, they might be a bit difficult to yank. Either needlenose pliers (as mentioned previously) or the old trick of rotating the engine until the lifter pokes up a bit and slapping a hose clamp on it to use as a handle of sorts. This can score the lifter, so if you do it, be sure that they are going straight to a recycling yard.
Recycle!:alien:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
350 BUCKS!!!

350 for a new set of stock rocker arms, anyone know of a better deal?

That's flat out ridiculous

·
Registered
269 Posts
Re: 350 BUCKS!!!

Ian69cat said:
350 for a new set of stock rocker arms, anyone know of a better deal?

That's flat out ridiculous
Try these out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6770&item=2410475274&rd=1

This auction is for one BRAND NEW set (16) 4340 ROLLER TIP ROCKER ARMS. This kit is new and is in PERFECT OPERATING CONDITION !!!! This kit fits all SB FORD with 3/8 STUD or self aligning late model applications that have 3/8 stud!! (Bidder is responsible for researching fitment)

Here is your chance to get a BRAND NEW set of roller rocker arms for that SB FORD. Available in 1.6, 1.7 ratios and will also work with late model self aligning drivetrain and valve covers. (some exhaust rockers may require slight clearance to keepers/rotators) They feature High Strength 4340 Chrome Moly body with large chrome-moly roller tips which "free up" the rockers providing more horsepower and less valve train wear. They come ready to install with matching pivot balls and locking nuts! You can even use your stock valve covers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts