Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my heads and a pushrod length tool. Have '79 Windsor block and '70 heads, with 1.7x roller rockers. Picked up 8.15 hardened pushrods, but realized after the fact that the deck height was slightly higher with the '79 block. After I get the passenger head bolted down, and have the lifters at rest, what should be the contact range of the lifter to the valve tip as I turn the crank? Should it be smack dab in the middle throughout the lift? Thanks, Eric.

P.S. The pushrods the mechanic used back in '90 were the exact same length, albeit with 1.6x standard rockers.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
total travel of the rocker tip should be within the center third of the valve stem tip. I struggled for some time with this and then dumped the cheap proform rockers and went with Comp Cams gold series and walla instant success. The 1.7 ratio will complicate things a bit.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How does it go again... with the intake lifter at rest, tighten the rocker down to just snug, then turn another 1/4 turn? Lifters are hydraulic flat tappet matched to the Lunati barebones cam.

·
Registered
913 Posts
How does it go again... with the intake lifter at rest, tighten the rocker down to just snug, then turn another 1/4 turn? Lifters are hydraulic flat tappet matched to the Lunati barebones cam.
You set the intake when the exhaust starts to open, and set the exhaust when the intake is almost closed on the same cylinder. You adjust the push rod to where it has no clearance, then 1/2 to 3/4 turn. the preferred preload is .050

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered an adjustable pushrod. Hoping to figure out the length this week. Anyone looking for some nice early hardened Windsor 8.150" pushrods for guide plate setup? Looking for $50 shipped. Save you $20, and damn they also have the word Cougar on them. How nice!

Anyone used valve cover spacers to accommodate stud girdles on their SBF? I had to remove the baffle with tin snips on the driver's side cover to see how much clearance I needed, but think the 1.375" will do just fine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHRO...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
8.150 is a good windsor measure. That is what i ended up with in mine with after market aluminum heads.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actual name on the pushrods is "CAT" (close).

8.150 is fine for early Windsors, but I have a '79 block, plus I have 1.7x roller rockers. I'll be my number will be closer to 8.2". Hope it's not some freakish number nobody makes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts