Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am converting my 289 over to a roller, with a lunati set of retrofit lifters, and a set of roller rockers. I have to get retainers + seals and some other stuff still, but basically I would like to get everything off of summit all in one shipment, rather than putting the heads together, measuring the length, then placing another order. I am assuming someone out there would have done this already, and be able to maybe tell me what their push rod length ended up being?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
There are too many variables that will change the length of a push rod from one engine to another. Different amounts shaved off the heads and block and differences in head gasket thicknesses. If you want the engine to live a full and healthy life, it would be best to physically measure. I had to have different length between intake and exhaust on mine.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
times 2 on the above. I have just went through the dance and you have to get the roller tip to travel properly on the valve stem. I ended up having to switch rockers to get it right. Use the adjustable push rod and take the extra time to do it right so the valve guides live.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
X4 - be consistant about what brands of head gaskets you buy too.....it helps with setup/teardown and being consistant. If you really want to nail this thing down you will need a dial indicator and a set of spring shims as long as your ordering stuff....good luck and keep us posted on how it's going! If you call the tech support guys at Lunati - they can get you pretty close to start with if you give them all the particulars, or better yet is to see if you can get an adjustable PR to get your measurments figured out, then order the correct ones.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
X5...A set of "light weight" springs with an adjustable push rod are way easier to deal with while the engine is on a stand, VS, installing another cam and lifters in the car, since you broke so many parts the first time. That was my learning curve...There is a really good write up over on SBFTech.com, search for 'adjustable valvetrain' on that site.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts