Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bought the purple car that was on ebay back in '08. It's the one sold in Canada. I haven't ordered a stat sheet from Kevin yet but intend to next week. Just wondering if there are others known like this one. Purple, WT9083 with white top and interior. Also looking for suggestions on restorers for Cougars.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
If you have some disposable income and the end results are more important to you than overall cost... give KTL restorations a shout.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
If you have some disposable income and the end results are more important to you than overall cost... give KTL restorations a shout.
Don Rush says KTL is cheap, but does great work (I agree about the latter for sure, can't speak to the former).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response. Yes it is that same purple as seen in the link. I'm not sure I know who Ray is but if he has info on this car I would like to talk to him.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
That would be Ray Harwood. He owns or used to own one of the Rocky Mountain Life Cougars. He and the owner of the site I posted a link to, Robert Knowland, know the most about these purple Cougars. If you need information I'd contact one or both of them. There should be a link to contact Robert on his website. Neither one of these guys frequent this site.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Don Rush says KTL is cheap, but does great work (I agree about the latter for sure, can't speak to the former).
As someone who is currently using KTL for a high end restoration, I can say with confidence that Tom's work is accurate and extremely well done. As for cheap-no. Fairly priced for the product and knowledge you are getting-absolutely. I hope there is no hurry. Check with Tom but he had my car 2-3 years before he could get to it. I guess you don't eat where there are no cars in the parking lot.

·
Registered
839 Posts
This Car has been Verified through Kevin Marti as a Rocky Mountain Special. It is 1 of 5 Additional Units above the 98 Currently Recognized by the Site, for a Total of 103 RMS Cars produced. . This is THE ONLY Purple 'RMS' CJ Ragtop in Existence, and the only RMS sold in Vancouver. Ray Harwood has the information on this car, and also knows about the other 4 of the 5, if you would like to speak with him, please PM me and I will relay his contact information. Andrew.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yep - you got a rare one there....take good care of it...please forward me the full door tag VIN information for the 428CJ registry. thanks, Scott

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Is anyone else curious about the cat in the background of the last picture? Or is this car publicly known about?

·
Registered
30 Posts
So I'm assuming there is a 428CJ(scj) Cougar registry????

I have a '69 Cougar SCJ 4 sp car I would like to see if the info I have fro the car is correct.

Sorry to hijack the thread

·
Registered
2,991 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I made a note next to the VIN number on this car as being for sale on eBay in May of '06.

9F94R570440
No paint code, and it has a C6 transmission.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would be interested in seeing the Marti report, I have a 2007 Marti report for a 428 serial number ending in 440 that is said to be painted WT9083 from a dealer in Vancouver BC. I am interested to see or find out how it was verified. I would like to talk to Ray as I have lost contact with him.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
As KTL has gained stature they no longer need to be the low bid. They did my 69 CJ rag over 10 years ago and the resto has held up great. Because they are located in a region that has a low cost of living you will find them to be a better value then other comparable shops. It boils down to this... Where else can you find a reputable shop with upwards to 20 Cougars on the premises? And each time I work on a Cougar I wonder to myself "how does one reassemble a car without a template and years of daily experience?" Answer is, you will make lots of mistakes and spend a lot of hours redoing things. One more thing... I can tell the quality of a mans work by what and how he orders parts. Anyone doing a resto on a Cougar calls us and the better restorers are very particular on what we send. John Benoit for one prefers to select his trim and bumpers in person and go through every example I have on the shelf.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...and the better restorers are very particular on what we send...
Agree, completely. For an example, just read the quote in my sig!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts