Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering...Is it ok to pull a car with a Dodge Dakota V8 (non 4X4) with the trailer mount hole in the rear bumper? Or is that for light loads only? I may have found a parts car in Delaware and I want to be safe. Also, the car has no keys. If I take it, what should I do about that? It would be easier to get it on the trailer if I can drive it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm sorry, I don't know what to do about your key problem, but usually with a v8 truck you can probably tow 5000 lbs, off of the bumper, but you could probably tow up to 10000 with a reciever htich hooked up to the frame. Look on the bumper to see if it is rated at 5000 pounds or not.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looked at the bumper...

says 2000 lbs. trailer load, 200 lbs. tongue (whatever that is) I quess that is for trailering motorcycles and jet skis. Thank you.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Towing a car with just the bumper hook up is ok if your not using a trailer or car transport. If using those a receiver hitch is the only way to go. When I towed my car home I used a tow dolly and it worked out fine for me. Just remeber if using a dolly disconnect the drive shaft.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Try and avoid towing with the bumper if you can help it. I'm not so sure I would trust it.

Like everybody said, you'd definitely be better off using a receiver hitch.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Cougar kitty: I rent tow dollys (and other stuff) , so maybe I can help. The bumper #'s are telling you max trailer wt capacity(2000#pulling) and max wt that trailer coupler puts on the hitch itself(200#). It's not much. We will not rent a unit unless The vehicle has a 2'' receiver setup. This is NOT ball size, but tube size that slides into receiver. That being said, most dollies require a 2'' ball also. There are different wt capacities on 2" balls depending on shank style and size. Some are onlt 3500# w a 3/4 shank. Not good enough. We require 5000# minimum rating which is a 1" shank. The rating is stamped on the ball.
Will a dakota pull it? You bet! But the problem is being able to stop! If the cougar is complete, I'm guessing it weighs 4000#. What does the dakota weigh? T he dakota has to stop both you and the cougar. Dolly companys want tow vehicles 11/2 times heavier then towed wt. Liability of course. We do not require that, but we do make people aware of it. I personally have jackknifed a dolly and vehicle on a wet road because the vehicle pushed the back of the truck straight on a turn. Not fun!
There are different widths of dollys, be sure you have the one to handle full size cars and pickups. Most new dollies "pivot" some to help towed vehicles follow the towing vehicle. On those, they usually recommend that you lock the steering wheel. If you don't, you can cave in a fender on the towed car(the car swings too much on a sharp corner). Check the dolly instructions if possible.
Sorry if I "over educated" you. Our job is not to scare people, but instruct so everything goes well. Good luck on the project! Feel free to ask any more questions. It's nice to be able to help someone on this great forum. Baddad

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Baddad

Thank you for the information! I am not going to attempt it. The owner of the Cougar said he can deliver! He is interested in my '77 280Z as even trade. I need to get the title straightened out first because the title is lost and I inherited the car from my deceased parents with a Florida title and I live in North Carolina. I have not transfered it to my name yet.
Yes, this is a great Forum. I love being a member here.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts